Review of Some Days He Growled

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Agbata Trust
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Review of Some Days He Growled

Post by Agbata Trust »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Some Days He Growled" by Nicole Kimball Ostrowski.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Bullying and abuse happen to be very delicate issues that we still fight against today. These two concepts can originate from family, school, church, etc. And in most cases where the victim isn’t able to open up, they end up growing up with the trauma, which negatively affects their life. I was opportune to have read this book, Some Days He Growled by Nicole Kimball Ostrowski, a very colorful and enriched children's book that builds on the concepts mentioned above.

This book is a story about two friends, Wolf and Ghost, who met on Halloween and became friends. It has been a smooth sail of friendship so far, as they had fun together and did things in common as good friends should. The relationship began to go ugly as Wolf sometimes behaved strangely and acted like an enemy. After that, Wolf would apologize and buy gifts for Ghost, which were accepted with love. This kept happening, and Ghost knew they couldn’t continue like this. What decision is Ghost going to take concerning the friendship, and is Wolf going to accept it?

This was an engrossing and emotional read for me because there were a lot of flashbacks, which were just the exact scenario of Wolf and Ghost. Most times, we all think we have found the perfect person for us, and the moment we feel at ease with the person, they will begin to show their ugly side. I don’t think this book could have been further simplified than it is. The author is an amazing writer and made sure that the message of the book was loud and clear. The colorful patterns and drawings of the book are evidence to prove that it is a children's book.

I just want to mention one thing that could be a dislike and also a difficulty for children while reading, and that is the tiny writing. Subsequent editions of this book should consider enlarging the word size. Following what has been sad so far, this book is very unique and contains no errors, which shows that it was carefully and well-edited.

Based on what has been said so far, there is no tangible reason to deduct any stars; therefore, I will rate this book five out of five stars. I would also recommend this book to children and lovers of children's books.

Some Days He Growled
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

Ghost and Wolf seemed to be in a toxic friendship, which is quite unhealthy. I like the fact that this children's book helps to teach children about these kinds of relationships. Thanks for the review.
Obasi Samuel ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obasi-samuel-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Obasi Samuel ikechukwu »

Ghost and wolf were in a toxic relationship , which ghost decided to part away from wolf . I learned a lot from your review that when ever we found ourselves in that kind of situation, we should think otherwise. You have a wonderful review.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

I love the choice of characters in the book. I wonder how Wolf and Ghost will solve this. I also understand that once a friendship goes south it is hard to put it back on line. This is a very educative book especially for friends.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I love the concept of this book and the lesson the author is trying to bring out. Children will learn a lot from here not to bully their friends who’s at ease with them. Well done!
Kelvin Modilim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

This book was an amazing rich. I really think a lot of people come to understand the themes of this book and to help them in their daily lives us. It encompasses, almost everything.
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Sheen Jenny »

This captivating children's book shines a light on the delicate issues of bullying and friendship, delivering a heartfelt story that resonates with readers of all ages. A must-read that skillfully tackles important themes with colorful illustrations and a powerful narrative.
Ivana_5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ivana_5 »

This is a story about two frend, why is very connected, but breaking because Wolf bulling and become violence on your frend Ghost. Victim of bullying is a very difficult for everyone an this story telling us how important to have relay relationship. Victim have a big trauma and be very closer, and opened up become growe up. That is very difficult to forgive person why despondent us. I recommend everyone why now what is traumatic stress of children when become victims of bullying.
Nkem Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkem-blessing.html

Post by Nkem Blessing »

A good review. What could be the reason wolf action. I think this book will be interesting. I see it as a story of friendship
Ogidi Nmesoma Silvia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogidi-nmesoma-silvia.html

Post by Ogidi Nmesoma Silvia »

Nice review. I think the book will help children to know that bullying is bad and should be avoided
Kene Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kene-active.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Kene Active »

I think this book exposes toxicity. Wolf was being a toxic friend. I hope children learn from the exposures of this book. Nice review.
Jimmy Cyprian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-cyprian.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Jimmy Cyprian »

I hope my kids and other children out there can learn not to be toxic as Wolf was. This is a really innovative book which exposes children to a lot of things they should already know.
Okocha Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Okocha Victor »

Bullies are weak people. They need someone else's pain to feel relevant, and that is the sickest thing anyone can do. I've seen various videos that are horrifying to look at and I wonder why humans have wills in the first place.
Udegbunam Miriam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miami-liam.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Udegbunam Miriam »

This children's book sounds unique and interesting. What decision did the ghost take? How did the wolf react? This book sounds like it will teach children to know how to stand up to their mates and be outspoken. Interesting review.
Agbata Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

Books like this will help build in children to have a healthy communal life. It's with recommending

Return to “Children's Books”