Review of The Movie Chair

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bithiah
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Mitzi Perdue
Currently Reading: A God-Balanced Life
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bithiah.html
Latest Review: Developing Resilience by Penny Christian Knight
fav_author_id: 240516

Re: Review of The Movie Chair

Post by Bithiah »

After reading the book sample, I discovered that it tells the tale of a kind little chair at a theater who especially enjoys seeing kids on the weekends. This adorable chair enjoys plenty of activities, like hiding coins in her cushions so the kids may purchase snacks, jabbing inconsiderate adults with her spring, and getting caught up in a lot of other weekend mishaps. It appears that even adults can read and thoroughly appreciate this engaging children's book. The review is written with great skill. congratulations to the writer on BOTD.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am fascinated by how the story revolves around a chair situated in a movie theater that has an immense affection for children. I am intrigued by the reason why the magical chair loves children and hates adults. I am interested learning about the magical chair's fate as the movie theater undergoes a renovation.
steve ace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by steve ace »

I really enjoy how children's books give human emotion to inanimate objects. A very amazing and interesting book
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 446
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A lovely children's book "The Movie Chair" by Shari Borkin, which revolves around a chair situated in a movie theater that has an immense affection for children.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Michael Joseph 17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-joseph-17.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Michael Joseph 17 »

This children's book has managed to pique my interest with its captivating narrative. What sets it apart is its ingenious exploration of emotions attributed to an unlikely character—the movie chair. The incorporation of personification lends a personalized touch, making the narrative stand out in the realm of children's literature. The infusion of a subtle sense of horror adds depth to the storyline, making it an engaging read that resonates with both young and older readers.

However, as much as I appreciate the horror elements in the book, there is room for improvement, particularly in the depiction of graphics. While the intention is to convey a sense of horror visually, the execution falls short of modern standards. In this era of advanced technology, the graphics could have been crafted with a more sophisticated touch, steering away from the dated aesthetics reminiscent of the 80s or 90s. A more contemporary visual approach would enhance the overall reading experience, aligning it with the expectations of today's young audience.

Moving beyond the visual aspect, the use of language in the book presents another point of consideration. Although the narrative weaves a compelling tale, there are instances where certain words might pose a challenge for young readers. Simplicity in language is key when catering to a younger audience, and a careful review to ensure clarity could elevate the accessibility of the book. Striking a balance between a rich vocabulary and age-appropriate language is crucial to fostering a positive reading experience for children.

Structurally, the book could benefit from a more straightforward layout, ensuring that its content is easily digestible for its target audience. The aim is to facilitate a seamless understanding for young readers, allowing them to navigate the storyline effortlessly. Clear and concise structuring is essential in holding the attention of children, fostering both comprehension and engagement.

In consideration of language challenges, the inclusion of a glossary emerges as a potential solution. A glossary could serve as a valuable tool for young readers, providing them with a quick reference to the meanings of unfamiliar words encountered throughout the book. This not only aids in enhancing vocabulary but also promotes independent learning and a deeper understanding of the narrative.

In conclusion, this children's book offers a unique and intriguing exploration of emotions through personification, coupled with a subtle yet effective touch of horror. While the narrative succeeds in capturing attention, there are areas that warrant refinement. A modernized approach to graphics, careful consideration of language simplicity, and the incorporation of a glossary could collectively elevate the book, ensuring it not only captivates young readers but also contributes positively to their literary development.
Michael Joseph 17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-joseph-17.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Michael Joseph 17 »

This children's book has managed to pique my interest with its captivating narrative. What sets it apart is its ingenious exploration of emotions attributed to an unlikely character—the movie chair. The incorporation of personification lends a personalized touch, making the narrative stand out in the realm of children's literature. The infusion of a subtle sense of horror adds depth to the storyline, making it an engaging read that resonates with both young and older readers.

However, as much as I appreciate the horror elements in the book, there is room for improvement, particularly in the depiction of graphics. While the intention is to convey a sense of horror visually, the execution falls short of modern standards. In this era of advanced technology, the graphics could have been crafted with a more sophisticated touch, steering away from the dated aesthetics reminiscent of the 80s or 90s. A more contemporary visual approach would enhance the overall reading experience, aligning it with the expectations of today's young audience.

Moving beyond the visual aspect, the use of language in the book presents another point of consideration. Although the narrative weaves a compelling tale, there are instances where certain words might pose a challenge for young readers. Simplicity in language is key when catering to a younger audience, and a careful review to ensure clarity could elevate the accessibility of the book. Striking a balance between a rich vocabulary and age-appropriate language is crucial to fostering a positive reading experience for children.

Structurally, the book could benefit from a more straightforward layout, ensuring that its content is easily digestible for its target audience. The aim is to facilitate a seamless understanding for young readers, allowing them to navigate the storyline effortlessly. Clear and concise structuring is essential in holding the attention of children, fostering both comprehension and engagement.

In consideration of language challenges, the inclusion of a glossary emerges as a potential solution. A glossary could serve as a valuable tool for young readers, providing them with a quick reference to the meanings of unfamiliar words encountered throughout the book. This not only aids in enhancing vocabulary but also promotes independent learning and a deeper understanding of the narrative.

In conclusion, this children's book offers a unique and intriguing exploration of emotions through personification, coupled with a subtle yet effective touch of horror. While the narrative succeeds in capturing attention, there are areas that warrant refinement. A modernized approach to graphics, careful consideration of language simplicity, and the incorporation of a glossary could collectively elevate the book, ensuring it not only captivates young readers but also contributes positively to their literary development.
Prabhat Sunil Mathur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prabhat-sunil-mathur.html
Latest Review: Severed Roots by Nego Huzcotoq

Post by Prabhat Sunil Mathur »

Thank you for sharing your insightful and positive review of "The Movie Chair." Your detailed observations on the illustrations and the layout provide valuable insights for potential readers. It's heartening to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the story and found it flawlessly edited.

Your recognition of the author's intention to convey lessons of kindness and the importance of performing our roles diligently is insightful. Your perfect score and recommendation further highlight the book's universal appeal across different age groups.
Ajain12
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajain12.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Ajain12 »

"The Movie Chair" by Shari Borkin is a charming children's book with captivating illustrations and a heartwarming narrative that teaches valuable lessons about kindness and compassion. Highly recommended for all ages.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: The Tainted Jade by Richard Blaine

Post by Veronica Hunter »

Shari Borkin's 'The Movie Chair' is a delightful children's book that beautifully combines heartwarming storytelling with enchanting illustrations. The chair's endearing interactions with the children and its ultimate fate serve as powerful lessons on kindness and compassion.
Sbitan Mohammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbitan-mohammad.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Sbitan Mohammad »

I'm not a fan of children books but however, this got me interested. A chair which yearns for children in a movie theater is something I'd like to know about. Congrats on being Botd!
EBERE WRITES COCEPT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-writes-cocept.html
Latest Review: Island Girl by Charles R Hinckley

Post by EBERE WRITES COCEPT »

Shari Borkin's 'The Movie Chair' is a touching tale that celebrates kindness and empathy. The illustrations are simply enchanting, bringing the story to life in a way that will capture the hearts of both children and adults alike.
Precious Anavheoba
Currently Reading: Bright Expanse
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

Hmmm. It sounds fun but more like an animation or cartoon than a book. However, from the review, the author has done well and will attract children to the beautifully illustrated pages of this book.
Sameena Ansari
Favorite Book: Dracula
Currently Reading: Losing Hope
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Sameena Ansari »

'The Movie Chair' by Shari Borkin has piqued my interest. The seamless blend of illustrations and text, along with the chair's role in comforting children, sounds enchanting. I look forward to exploring the valuable lessons it imparts on kindness and reward.
Rizka Hamid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Rizka Hamid »

Children specially must love these story
I do believe that parents must read this book for their own kids. Attractive story and fun 😄
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

It's reassuring to hear that despite initial confusion, the story resolves itself nicely. Perfect editing and flawless presentation are definite pluses. I'm intrigued by the valuable lessons it imparts and the seamless blend of storytelling and illustrations.

Return to “Children's Books”