Review of The Movie Chair

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Review of The Movie Chair

Post by Park Cherri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Movie Chair" by Shari Borkin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The children's book titled The Movie Chair was both written and illustrated by Shari Borkin. The story revolves around a chair situated in a movie theater that has an immense affection for children. However, the children mostly visit during weekends, leaving the chair yearning for their presence. During the adults' visits, who tend to watch romance movies that the chair finds tedious, it becomes disinterested. Whenever the children are around, the chair exudes joy and fulfills various roles, such as providing comfort and support to the children when they are sad, wiping their tears during moments of distress, and offering hugs when scary scenes frighten them. Additionally, the chair shields their eyes and ears during scenes that are deemed inappropriate. However, the chair's life takes an unfortunate turn when the movie theater undergoes renovation, leading to its disposal. To discover the chair's fate, read this concise children's book.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this storybook. The illustrations were skillfully crafted, complementing the accompanying text. The book is available in PDF format and is presented in a physical layout. The images are positioned on the left, with the corresponding story on the right. The black background serves as a striking contrast to the white text, enhancing readability. The movie chair itself is captivating, and it is intriguing how the children are unbothered by its animated movements, implying their familiarity. The author's intention seems to be to teach children the concept that acts of kindness will always be rewarded, much like the chair's eventual reward. The book imparts valuable lessons, encouraging children to treat others well and emphasizing the importance of performing our respective roles diligently.

Personally, I found no issues with this storybook. Although I initially felt a bit confused at the beginning, the end resolved my confusion. I offer this comment as constructive feedback, as I rate The Movie Chair with a perfect score of 5 out of 5 stars. The book appears to be flawlessly edited, as I encountered no errors.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book to all children capable of reading and understanding its content. Additionally, adults and young adults can also enjoy reading it as a means of passing the time. The illustrations are bound to delight children and captivate readers of all ages.

The Movie Chair
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really enjoy how children's books give human emotion to inanimate objects or to animals. I also usually like the illustrations.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

Oh, I hope the chair wasn't chucked out during renovations. Your review has captured my heart
Raphael Raymondd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raphael-raymondd.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Raphael Raymondd »

This book is a perfect blend of adrenaline-fueled adventure and heartfelt romance. The author skillfully weaves together gripping action sequences and tender moments of love, leaving readers wanting more. It's a must-read for fans of thrilling adventures with a dash of romance.
Gillian Walter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer-mogzi.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Gillian Walter »

This children's book reminds me of my younger days when I give life to inanimate objects. I will like to read about this chair that cares about children while they watch movies. Nice review.
Jesse Shon Voyamba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesse-shon-voyamba.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Jesse Shon Voyamba »

I'm already curious to know what became of the chair. This seems like an interesting children's book that even adults can read and enjoy every bit of it.
Rica Concepcion
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Rica Concepcion »

What I like about children's books is that whatever the story is about, the message should be clear, honest, valuable, and enjoyable. I wish to have a copy of this book. "The Movie Chair"  by Shari Borkin has it all. You narrate the book so well; indeed, you really have fun reading. great job! 
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Reverend Psychopath by Dr Andrew Rynne

Post by Seetha E »

A chair with a heart and soul for children! Emotions are expressed best in children's books and movies. This beautiful review and the touching storyline make me eager to read it. Praying that the chair found a place in a sweet child's heart and home eventually.
Alexander Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-victoria.html
Latest Review: Affirm The Word by J. Marie Jones

Post by Alexander Victoria »

I enjoy how simple children’s books are always like. And this is also a short read that won’t take most of one’s time with lessons to learn too.
Abhishek Kumar Gupta
Currently Reading: Beyond the Golden Door
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhishek-kumar-gupta.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore
2024 Reading Goal: 365
2024 Goal Completion: 19%

Post by Abhishek Kumar Gupta »

Thank you for sharing your detailed and thoughtful review of "The Movie Chair" by Shari Borkin. It's wonderful to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the storybook and found the illustrations to be skillfully crafted and enhancing the text. The way the chair interacts with the children in the story seems to be heartwarming and teaches valuable lessons about kindness and compassion.

It's great to know that you found no issues with the book and rated it a perfect 5 out of 5 stars. Your feedback on the initial confusion and eventual resolution adds depth to your review and shows your thoughtful engagement with the story.

Your recommendation will surely help others discover and enjoy this book as much as you did. It sounds like a delightful read for children and readers of all ages. Thank you for sharing your positive experience with "The Movie Chair"!
Praganshu
Currently Reading: Riley Youngblood and the Passport to Santalamanchia
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praganshu.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Praganshu »

Dive into the heartwarming tale of “The Movie Chair” by Shari Borkin. 🎬 A quirky chair with a big heart brings joy and mischief to moviegoers, transforming weekends into adventures. Will the theater’s revamp be the end of its magic? Find out in this charming read! 📚✨ #ChildrensBooks #FeelGoodRead
Kosisochukwu Osuji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Kosisochukwu Osuji »

This book " The Movie Chair" by Shari Borkin is actually one of the best and amazing children's book I have actually read. I never knew a chair could love and cherish children more than some parents. I really love the book it's so creative..
Alexandra Solano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-solano.html
Latest Review: Hard Knocks: Memoir of a Small Moment by Ray Lopez

Post by Alexandra Solano »

Interesting narrative and idea for a story. I love the return back to a child’s point of view.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

A movie chair appears to be a unique metaphor for teaching lessons such as kindness and work ethic. The book creatively gives a new perspective on familiar objects.
Sia_young
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: The Red Movement
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-young.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
fav_author_id: 2719
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Sia_young »

This is such a beautiful review. I don't know why but when I read about the part of theatre renovation leading to chair's disposal, my eyes teared up.
Will surely give this book a read. Congrats to the author on BOTD.

Return to “Children's Books”