Review of Evan Penguinski The Worst Wisher Ever

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Smrithi Arun
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Review of Evan Penguinski The Worst Wisher Ever

Post by Smrithi Arun »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Evan Penguinski The Worst Wisher Ever" by Andi Anders.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

On his fifth birthday, Evan Penguinski has the dire wish to be unique compared to the other penguins around him. Wording it in a cute poetry-like format, Evan rushes to the "looking-ice" and is disappointed to see that nothing changed! His friends then persuade the despondent penguin to rejoin the party and play with them. Unable to see him so upset, Tilly suggests he make another wish, looking at the "first-stars." As he tilts his head to look up, his party hat falls off, and lo! He has a unicorn horn above his head, making him the most unique penguin around!

One can only imagine the trouble this horn must have caused overall (poor Tilly). Evan’s daring wish-making skills don’t end here, of course, so you’ll have to check out Evan Penguinski The Worst Wisher Ever by Andi Anders to truly experience his thrills and adventures.

This book caught my attention because I love penguins and associate them with my best friend, Pingu (nicknamed after her favourite childhood cartoon of the same name). Hands down, this is the cutest children’s book I have come across to date. Children will roar with laughter and then cry because they’ve laughed so hard! Anders has done a fabulous job with this unique creation.

Evan Penguinski’s story is a thoroughly thrilling one. Emily Hercock has done exceptional work on the illustrations. Each distinct expression and attention to detail speaks for itself. An occasional appearance from Claw the crustacean, a WWF advocate, was the cherry on top of the cake. The poetry and games like "Pin the Tail on the Whale" were the highlights.

As much as I loved all aspects of the book, my only concern would be that children might need help understanding words like "krillious," which I believe is penguin-tongue specific to the book. Aside from all the fun and laughter, children will also learn they must be careful what they wish for. So, dear parents, please be ready for your young ones to love Evan and support them in their sure-to-come penguin phase.

Evan Penguinski The Worst Wisher Ever deserves nothing short of 5 out of 5 stars. It is an excellent book for children between the ages of 3 and 6, and it comes with a lesson. It has been exceptionally well edited, as I did not find any grammatical errors. Parents could also read it as a bedtime story.

Please Note: Claw the crustacean has a message from the World Wildlife Fund (WWF). The ocean is becoming more acidic due to the increased absorption of carbon dioxide, threatening the lives of most shelled organisms, including crustaceans. Claw has pledged to donate a part of the proceeds from each sale of this book to the WWF to help tackle the situation. Please support Claw in this venture!

Evan Penguinski The Worst Wisher Ever
View: on Bookshelves
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Sia_young
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: The Red Movement
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-young.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
fav_author_id: 2719
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Sia_young »

Penguins are one of the effortlessly cute species. And judging from your review, this book sounds cute and funny. With an exceptional work of illustrations and delivering a beautiful message. I'll definitely read this and recommend it to the others.
Jeff Kanda
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Dreams Are to Be Lived
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Jeff Kanda »

I have never personally interacted with penguins directly because I live in the tropics. Anyway, I've seen that penguins are interesting animals mainly because the value relationships and are mostly together. I enjoyed reading your review.
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

This seems to be a very cute and funny penguin book. I will keep in mind for my little ones! Thanks for a wonderful and interesting review 🙂
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

That's a very nice and educational story. I too love penguins. The story seems fun and supports a good cause. Your review is so refreshing, Smrithi; I enjoyed reading it.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Post by Brian Ruguru »

I want to know what happened next. Such a great twist in a children's book.
Smrithi Arun

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Sia_young wrote: 01 Aug 2023, 05:25 Penguins are one of the effortlessly cute species. And judging from your review, this book sounds cute and funny. With an exceptional work of illustrations and delivering a beautiful message. I'll definitely read this and recommend it to the others.
Oh, yes, 100%! If you like penguins you'll love this book too. Thank you for commenting!
Smrithi Arun

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Jeff Kanda wrote: 01 Aug 2023, 15:59 I have never personally interacted with penguins directly because I live in the tropics. Anyway, I've seen that penguins are interesting animals mainly because the value relationships and are mostly together. I enjoyed reading your review.
Same here, Jeff. I have mostly seen them in cartoons or in videos where a penguin was clumsy. Thank you for commenting!
Smrithi Arun

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Catalina Isabel wrote: 02 Aug 2023, 04:03 This seems to be a very cute and funny penguin book. I will keep in mind for my little ones! Thanks for a wonderful and interesting review 🙂
They will absolutely love it, Catalina! Thank you for your comment :)
Smrithi Arun

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Sarah Zain wrote: 02 Aug 2023, 18:19 That's a very nice and educational story. I too love penguins. The story seems fun and supports a good cause. Your review is so refreshing, Smrithi; I enjoyed reading it.
Thank you so much for your kind and wonderful comment, Sarah!
Smrithi Arun

Post by Smrithi Arun »

NicRoy wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 09:30 I want to know what happened next. Such a great twist in a children's book.
It is a great one! I'm sure you'll like it. Thank you for commenting!
Miracle Princess
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Miracle Princess »

I am already interested in the book I have read so far . Never be ashamed of the way you are created because everyone is different plus you get a different look from others to stand out and to be remember by others. Definitely would read this books to the kids
Smrithi Arun

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Miracle Princess wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 12:22 I am already interested in the book I have read so far . Never be ashamed of the way you are created because everyone is different plus you get a different look from others to stand out and to be remember by others. Definitely would read this books to the kids
Thank you for commenting! I'm sure your kids will love Evan Penguinski!
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: “TREMAINE” by James Harold Kelly
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 11%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

Evan Penguinski should have been more specific with the wish. But it happens: you say something and forget to specify and you end up regretting due to the ambiguous results obtained :D. Children will learn to be specific, as you said, not only in wishes but also in decisions they make in life. Thanks Smrithi.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Smrithi Arun

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Kigen Valarie wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 03:29 Evan Penguinski should have been more specific with the wish. But it happens: you say something and forget to specify and you end up regretting due to the ambiguous results obtained :D. Children will learn to be specific, as you said, not only in wishes but also in decisions they make in life. Thanks Smrithi.
Very true! Hopefully, Evan's experience will help children understand the importance of clear communication :)

Return to “Children's Books”