Review of The Story of Maggie and Early BFF

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review of The Story of Maggie and Early BFF

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Story of Maggie and Early BFF" by Sheila Derreberry.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Story of Maggie and Early BFF by Sheila Derreberry is a children’s book for ages 7-14. The story is based on real-life events and displays the unconditional love of children.

Maggie is a black Labrador who is full of energy. She is constantly fun to be around, and her human mother is Lisa. Early is a brindle-coloured, handsome dog with a more calm and obedient nature. His human father is Jack. Lisa and Jack begin dating and allow Maggie and Early to spend time together. The dogs become close, like a brother and sister and miss each other when they are apart.

The dogs have different personalities but love each other. Maggie has a habit of eating anything, from freshly baked cakes to socks. She performs many doggy tricks and adores playing catch. Early is more relaxed and enjoys swimming, walks, and belly rubs. They love their human grandmother as she always supplies treats. Both are extremely happy when Lisa and Jack get married and begin a united family life with the arrival of two children.

The book has colourful and large illustrations that visually display the story. The drawings capture the physical appearances and characters. All parts of the story have a picture that is perfect for children. The artwork adds more comedy to some of the mischiefs the dogs get up to, my favourite part of the book. The author has perfectly described and displayed the lovable and humorous personalities of the dogs. All dog owners can relate to this book, especially those with a labrador.

Love and loss are in this story, but the author has approached it sensitively. The book is a tool to express this message. The story is a lovely dedication, as well as a display of the innocence and empathy of children. Another delightful aspect is the bond between dogs and children. A dog can be a playmate, caretaker, and best friend to a child.

Included are the quirky personality traits of dogs. Maggie tends to eat anything and is scared of certain things, such as the vacuum cleaner. Young readers will understand that all dogs are different and have fears, just like children.

I found zero spelling or grammar errors in the book. The book has been exceptionally professionally edited. I loved the story. The illustrations perfectly matched the text. I appreciated the underlying messages of the book, and I found nothing to dislike. I rate the book 5 out of 5 stars.

The Story of Maggie and Early BFF
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Children's Books”