Review of I Can Do Anything!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Little Doctors Handbook for Babies and Toddlers by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of I Can Do Anything!

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Can Do Anything!" by Michelle F. Dallago.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

It would be difficult to argue with an author whose stated purpose for publishing her book is to "nurture a healthy and optimistic personality in young children." Michelle F. Dallago accomplishes that goal with her charming book, I Can Do Anything.

The physical aspects of the book are also excellent. The front cover of the book has a gigantic guitar that wraps around the back cover. A diverse group of energetic, smiling children are playing on the instrument. Some of them are even using the guitar's bridge as a slide. The muted colors continue onto the back cover, which features three endorsements from childhood educators. Inside the book, Dallago provides a helpful note to individuals on how to interact with children.

The characters from the cover are illustrated throughout the book accomplishing various milestones such as: riding a bike, climbing a tree, and learning to read. Often the child in the picture is featured with a disability, but the illustrator has not made the condition overtly obvious. All the preschool children seem natural and equal. Phrases such as: "I make mistakes, I sometimes fall" and "I'm not weak, I'm just a little small" reinforce the author's message and will help children gain self-confidence when they struggle.

I did encounter one puzzling feature. On the cover of the book, there is a girl wearing an oversized trench coat and a brown fedora. Several pages later, a boy is seen in the outfit, and on the facing page, a small girl is shown hanging up the coat. Towards the end of the book, a different boy is wearing the outfit. Additionally, there is one character, an overweight boy, who appears twice in a similar costume. I assume the outfits are symbolically saying, "One day, I'll be tall" and grow into these big clothes, but the message was confusing to me.

Preschool children will enjoy having the book read to them. Singing along with the provided melody as they follow the words on the pages will enhance their sight-reading skills. I found no errors, and despite the one negative, I am rating this five out of five stars because of the positive, encouraging message this book promotes.

I Can Do Anything!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kelvinna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinna.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books A Second Kiss Goodnight (A Bedtime Story) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kelvinna »

I appreciate the well-structured review. The author's excellent book and its intriguing title have piqued my interest, prompting me to add it to my bookshelf without a doubt.
Kelvinna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinna.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books A Second Kiss Goodnight (A Bedtime Story) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kelvinna »

The reviewer's critique stands out for me, appreciating both the well-written review, the rating given, and the recommendation provided. I must emphasize the quality of this piece, thoroughly enjoying the content while reading it.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

Sounds like a great book that will help boost children's confidence, and also let them know that making a mistake does not make one a mistake.
Upphilan Paul
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upphilan-paul.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Upphilan Paul »

Yes, I Can Do Anything. This is a captivating book and I appreciate your compelling and well detailed review. Children books always have a special lesson, apart from entertainment, it also helps gives children right knowledge. Well done

Return to “Children's Books”