Review of I Can Read

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Review of I Can Read

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Can Read" by Symone Smith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In I Can Read, Symone Smith takes some steps further from the usual pattern of teaching "A" is for "Apple" and "B" is for "Ball." Apart from the paintings of the animals illustrating each letter of the alphabet, Smith also brings in some elements of interaction and bits of extra information about each of the animals. It was a memorable read, and I would like to share my experiences in the following paragraphs.

I was impressed with the teaching pattern adopted in this children's book. It was not just a collection of educational resources; the content was presented in an interactive format. There is a declarative sentence followed by, usually, two questions, which serve to make kids active participants in the learning process.

The extra information about each animal was also helpful. Children will get to know, for instance, the kinds of foods they eat (like dragonflies who eat mosquitoes), their capabilities (like eagles who can sight something two miles away), their survival mechanisms (like hedgehogs who use their quills to protect themselves), and their habitats (like quolls who live in forests).

Also, I found the illustrations not only appropriate but also clear and appealing to the eyes. My favorite was the painting of the reindeer on page eighteen. Furthermore, the language is very simple. I do commend Smith for being conscious of the target audience while making her word choices. However, I found some poorly written sentences in the book, mainly due to punctuation mistakes. This book can also benefit from another round of editing, as I found some grammatical errors in it.

I rate I Can Read four out of five stars for the author's excellent presentation of the learning resources and the quality illustrations. I had to remove one star due to the concerns I pointed out in the above paragraph. Readers aged four to seven should find this book interesting, given the various learning avenues explored in it.

I Can Read
View: on Bookshelves
Kutloano Makhuvhela
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kutloano-makhuvhela.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson

Post by Kutloano Makhuvhela »

Thank you for sharing this review. You were direct and concise.
Chandrakant Patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Chandrakant Patel »

Your review of "I Can Read" by Symone Smith effectively conveys both the strengths and areas for improvement in the children's book. You provide a well-structured analysis of various aspects of the book, offering constructive feedback while also acknowledging its positive attributes.
Ohmy Book
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: You Can Heal Your Life
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohmy-book.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Ohmy Book »

I really enjoyed reading your review. You have stated what you liked in detail. This sounds like a good book and I will definitely recommend this one to all the parents of small children I know.

Return to “Children's Books”