Review of Julia Learns to Ride a Bike

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Bob and Bobbie and Other Short Stories by Derek Richard Fairey
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Julia Learns to Ride a Bike

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Julia Learns to Ride a Bike" by Vinicius Reis.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Join Julia, a determined young girl, as she gains some valuable skills while learning to balance on two wheels. She is accompanied on this journey by her caring father, who provides encouragement and companionship. Adults, who are reading this to younger children, will likely be reminded of their first biking experience and enjoy relating that tale. The simple but effective illustrations help to move Julia Learns to Ride a Bike along at a good pace.

This cute 29-page book would be perfect to present to a child when they are given their first bike. Julia's introductory experience was on a balance bike that had no pedals. She eventually mastered that two-wheeler and even rode it at a pump bike park, which scared her father. Finally, her father decided she was ready for a bike with pedals. Because of all her practice on the balance bike, she was soon proficient on the new bike as well.

The amount of text and the illustrations are appropriate for the recommended age group of two to six. I especially like that the emotions of the characters are evident in their facial expressions. There are no grammar errors and no reason to deduct any points. My rating is a solid five out of five stars. I read this for free on Kindle Unlimited, and I was pleased to see that the paperback version is moderately priced.

The underlying messages of persistence and patience will be appreciated by all caregivers. They will also appreciate the emphasis on safety and the need to wear a helmet while riding. The special father-daughter relationship is well-portrayed. I was surprised that although a younger sibling was introduced, there was no mention of a mother; however, I did not consider this a negative. The collaboration of author Vinicius Reis and the illustrator Alrlandy Putra Adha has produced a feel-good book that will put smiles on many faces.

Julia Learns to Ride a Bike
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Children's Books”