Review of The Winged Watchman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: On the Precipice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy by Ralph R. "Rick" Steinke
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Review of The Winged Watchman

Post by Mayang Bature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Winged Watchman" by Hilda van Stockum.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Hilda van Stockum writes this book as someone who witnessed firsthand the effects of World War II. In Saterwoude, a small village in Holland, we follow the life of Joris, a ten-year-old boy who lives in this small village with his family. The war affected how they lived at the time, but Joris’ story was still full of adventure and innocent curiosity.

I appreciated the author's use of descriptive language to bring the characters to life. Joris was a smart, curious kid, and everything he did showed that. Even though he was young, he had that fire in him that made him want to prove that he could help in some way. This quality even made me understand the country's situation. With drones flying around, soldiers being brutal, and people suffering just to find food and other necessities, I was engrossed in the story. I liked how these aspects were accurately represented and made me feel like I was right there. This demonstrates the author's exceptional writing style.

The novel's character development kept all of the characters distinct. Uncle Cor was a smart and funny man who worked with the resistance. With his inventive techniques and exciting stories, he always made those around him happy. He dressed up as Saint Nicholas once to make two little girls happy. Joris and his family also shared and supported one another in their difficulties. Despite the fact that it was a tragic time, the representation of family bonds gives hope to the entire story.

I really liked everything about this book; it had a well-rounded story that's perfect for kids, with a tinge of adventure and mystery. The errors were not bothersome, and the daring protagonists' adventures will lift your spirits. Furthermore, it teaches important values, imparts knowledge, and makes one wiser. One such instance was when Joris saw his mother lying to a soldier in order to protect refugees they were hiding. I admired her poise and candor as she explained why she had to do that. I believe that if adults read this, they will learn the value of being honest with children.

Overall, I give "The Winged Watchman" 5 out of 5 stars because of the accurate depiction of its setting and excellent character development. Teenagers will enjoy the level of mystery and suspense because they can relate to Joris the best.

The Winged Watchman
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
Zhamza
Currently Reading: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost!
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Zhamza »

is a book that tells an exciting and entertaining story that expresses the impact of World War II on the lives of people in a small village in the Netherlands. This book by Hilda van Stockum takes us on an amazing journey with Joris, a ten-year-old boy, and his family.

I loved how the author used beautiful descriptive language to bring the characters and the environment they lived in to life. Joris was an interesting and curious character, and the writer succeeded in making him seem real thanks to her precise depiction of details. Despite his young age, Joris had an inner fire that made him want to contribute and help in any way he could. This aspect of his personality perfectly reflected the resistant spirit of his people in that difficult period.

The precise description of the difficult circumstances and dangers that Joris and his family were exposed to completely immersed me in the story. War was all around them, but despite that, their lives were still full of adventure and challenges they had to overcome. The author has been exceptionally successful in presenting these aspects accurately and realistically.

The personal development of the characters in the novel was great. Like his uncle Kor, who was smart, funny, and involved in the resistance, he always brought joy to the story. The familial relationships and solidarity between Joris and his family were an important element in the story and added hope to the characters and the story as a whole.

Overall, this book is a literary masterpiece that combines adventure, learning, and human values. It makes the reader understand the impact of wars on people and families, and prompts reflection on the value of honesty and solidarity. I highly recommend this book to young and old readers alike.
Alexander Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-victoria.html
Latest Review: The Broken House by Burgess Mitchell and Dr. Lindsay Mitchell

Post by Alexander Victoria »

I'm sure i'll really enjoy this storybook as it talks about values children and adults alike should have. I will like to know the adventure Joris went on. Your review is exceptionally well written. well done!
Zhamza
Currently Reading: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost!
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Zhamza »

I'm sure I'll appreciate this storybook because it talks about ideals that both children and adults should have. I'd like to know about Joris' adventure. Your review is quite well written. well done!
Chandrakant Patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Chandrakant Patel »

Thank you for your review of Hilda van Stockum's book Saterwoude. It is clear that you enjoyed the book and appreciated the author's writing style and character development. I particularly liked your comments about the author's use of descriptive language, the realistic portrayal of life during World War II, and the emphasis on family bonds.
Upphilan Paul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upphilan-paul.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Upphilan Paul »

"The Winged Watchman" is another captivating book with an excellence review of Children book I have read, it delves into the deep and explains what the book is majorly about. I like this review, it's well detailed. Good job

Return to “Children's Books”