Review of Basketball King: The Jeremy Whitham Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Papi, Por Favor! by Rossana Snee
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Basketball King: The Jeremy Whitham Story

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Basketball King: The Jeremy Whitham Story" by Rebecca Ballew Dockum.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Basketball King: The Jeremy Whitham Story by Rebecca Ballew Dockum is a children's biography. The attractive cover has a background of different kinds of balls. The story describes the life of Jeremy, a boy born with special needs. This is a photo book that chronicles not only Jeremy's physical growth but also his growth in confidence.

There are 23 full-page spreads. An actual photograph appears on the left, and the text is on the right. The author, who has dyslexia, created the format for readability. Since Jeremy was born in 1984, many of the pictures are low resolution, but they do support the story well.

Jeremy discovered his first basketball in his grandmother's barn, and she gifted the ball to him. His interest in the object grew, and now, at age 39, his nickname is Basketball King. He created a museum in Missouri that holds his collection of 1,000 basketballs. There is no mention of Jeremy actually playing the sport, but his love for basketballs is obvious.

I especially liked the citation pages at the end of the book with information on autism, sign language, and the author. This book would be a good introductory book for elementary students learning to do research papers. Jeremy's struggles with autism and how he learned to live with it are an inspiration. He hopes to show people that even though he has a disability, he can do anything.

Although I was expecting to read about a basketball player, I was not disappointed to learn about a unique individual who gained confidence from owning a basketball. My rating is five out of five stars. The poor quality of the photographs was not enough of a negative to deduct a star. This is listed as a Hi-Lo book which means it is geared toward tweens in grades four through eight.

Basketball King: The Jeremy Whitham Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Catherine Radford
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-radford.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Catherine Radford »

Interesting, without any real knowledge of basketball I had assumed the author was a famous basketball player not a collector of basketballs!
Marina Flisvou
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: What Landlords Don't Want You To Know by Tom Arvanitis

Post by Marina Flisvou »

Your review provides valuable insights for potential readers. You've effectively encapsulated the essence of the book, detailing its format, style, and the main story elements. By pointing out the attractive cover, the photo layout, and the author's unique approach, you've painted a vivid picture of what readers can expect and making it useful for anyone considering purchasing or reading it.
Marina
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Catherine Radford wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 14:18 Interesting, without any real knowledge of basketball I had assumed the author was a famous basketball player not a collector of basketballs!
Yes, I had the same experience. Thank you for your comment.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Marina Flisvou wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 01:36 Your review provides valuable insights for potential readers. You've effectively encapsulated the essence of the book, detailing its format, style, and the main story elements. By pointing out the attractive cover, the photo layout, and the author's unique approach, you've painted a vivid picture of what readers can expect and making it useful for anyone considering purchasing or reading it.
I appreciate your feedback. Thank you!
Cheshta Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshta-sharma.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Cheshta Sharma »

I think this a great book for children to read. It's short and enjoyable and can spark an interest in reading for children.

Return to “Children's Books”