Review of Our Environment's Friends

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat by Richard Trebilcock

Review of Our Environment's Friends

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Our Environment's Friends" by Phil Riggs.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Scientists and various groups and institutions have done their part. The message is clear: humans have to change their consumption lifestyles and their activities towards nature and natural resources or risk devastating consequences. In the children's story "Our Environment's Friends," Phil Riggs exposes how a lot of people still neglect this clarion call and litter our surroundings with waste, polluting our environment and endangering plant and animal lives. Amid this disturbing situation, the story appears to urge the readers to take a cue from the interventions of such patriotic environmentalists as Joel, Grandpa, Suzanne, Aunt Evelyn, and others.

The topic of ecological sustainability is essential; our survival and continued existence largely depend on it. So, I felt it was a great idea to bring our young, impressionable minds into this discussion; perhaps they will grow up to take our environmental health seriously. I liked the way the young boy Joel was characterized as advocating environmental health and a sustainable lifestyle. His passion and dedication to ensuring our environment is clean at all times are commendable and inspirational. Joel's grandfather is also a great mentor; he is always there to support and encourage him.

I liked the practical demonstrations of how beneficial nature and its resources are to humans and how our unguarded lifestyles endanger their existence. For example, the kids will learn about the role bees play in ensuring we continue to enjoy some fresh foods. They will also read how a carelessly discarded net found its way into the sea and made the life of a whale miserable. These and more show that our actions have direct and indirect impacts on nature and its resources and that we also share, directly or indirectly, in the consequences.

The illustrations appealed to me. They are so beautiful and make the story more captivating. The word choices are simple, and children should be able to flow with the story without trouble with comprehension. Furthermore, the book was thoroughly edited, as I did not find any grammatical errors in it. Overall, this is a well-articulated piece that uses a simple story to teach kids some essential lessons about their environment and ecological sustainability. I have no complaints to report about this book, so I rate it five out of five stars for the aforementioned merits.

"Our Environment's Friends" is recommended to readers aged five to fourteen.

Our Environment's Friends
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Enjani Matendeko
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Nightlord
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjani-matendeko.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Enjani Matendeko »

It is said 'Teach them young.' This is the first time that I've come across environmental awareness in a children's book. This is commendable. Kudos to the author.
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your insights have piqued my interest, and I'm excited to dive into the book. Your review convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they've inspired me to explore further

Return to “Children's Books”