Review of Real Rhymes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat by Richard Trebilcock

Review of Real Rhymes

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Real Rhymes" by Todd Hoover, Caborri Paschal and Manny Walcotte.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Real Rhymes," written by Todd Hoover, Caborri Paschal, and Manny Walcotte, is a simple poetic piece that impacts children with some positive values even as they enjoy the highly-embellished musical effects that run through the lines. The book's message can help children connect with their inner selves, develop a mind of their own, and navigate through difficult situations.

The musical "taste" of the lines is so "delicious." I identified rhymes and alliteration as the major ingredients used to get the job done. Sometimes, the rhymes are in couplets, and sometimes they appear randomly. I am sure this will draw and sustain the attention of kids. There are also illustrations aimed at improving the book's overall appeal. Although I would have appreciated it if the word "badgering" (page 3) were replaced with a simpler one, I have to note that the overall word choices are simple and should pose no difficulty to children's comprehension of the poems.

The poems contain several positive values and guidance. My favorite poems in this aspect are "Make Myself Better" (page 5), which highlights the power of positive energy and resilience, and "Better Days" (page 7), which encourages focusing on one's targets, working on becoming a better person, and not being distracted by seeking external validations. I appreciated the motivations in the lines: "The world is like a trap it tries to get you / But you don’t have to watch them tell you bad news / Turn off the noise, there’s nothing to lose / Live a happy life, if that’s what you choose" (page 9).

However, I found some issues in this book. First, I found the following lines unhealthy for children: "High – Heels – Red – Lips / Night – Club – First – Kiss" (page 6) and "Because my rhymes are more deadly than a suicide pill" (page 15). Since this literature is classified as a children's book, I do not fancy using paintings of adults for the illustrations. I think using paintings of kids or similar things that appeal to them is a better option. Furthermore, I do not consider the themes of the poem "I Can’t Do This" appropriate for the target audience of this book: children. Lastly, it would be nice to remove words like "damn" (page 7) and "heck" (page 3) from this book; I don't see any benefit they have for children.

I rate "Real Rhymes" three out of five stars for the motivational message, "delicious" musical taste, and thorough editing. I had to remove two stars due to the aforementioned concerns. This book is recommended for readers aged eight to fourteen.

Real Rhymes
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This is such a good review. Even though I won't be picking any books to read to or with children, I appreciate knowing that this one contains inappropriate language and themes. Thanks!
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your insights have piqued my interest, and I'm excited to dive into the book. Your review convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they've inspired me to explore further

Return to “Children's Books”