Review of The Lizard in Lizzy's Gizzard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander Victoria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-victoria.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Review of The Lizard in Lizzy's Gizzard

Post by Alexander Victoria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lizard in Lizzy's Gizzard" by Charles W. Page MD.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Lizard in Lizzy's Gizzard recounts the narrative of a young girl, Elizabeth, who inadvertently ingested a lizard named Lazarus Machiavelli. Lazarus ventured into her gizzard, an odorous space filled with copious amounts of green slime. Despite experiencing considerable abdominal discomfort, Liz refrained from confessing the truth to her parents. The turning point occurred when her skin transformed from a yellow hue to a vivid green, prompting her father to urgently contact the family doctor. Discover the enthralling journey of how Lazarus emerged unscathed from Lizzy's verdant and slimy gizzard.

This captivating and concise storybook is adorned with exquisite illustrations featuring vibrant colours and lifelike portrayals. The title hints at the poetic elements within the narrative, incorporating rhymes with identical end spellings or concluding with a harmonious sound. Beyond its entertainment value, the book imparts valuable lessons, making it suitable for both young children and adolescents. One pivotal lesson is the importance of seeking divine intervention in challenging situations, irrespective of religious affiliations, as evidenced by Lazarus invoking God's aid by recalling Jonah's story.

Another significant lesson is the virtue of honesty, elucidated through Liz's prolonged suffering due to her initial reluctance to disclose the truth. An earlier admission could have led to swifter medical intervention. Charles W. Page, MD, demonstrates remarkable creativity as a writer, crafting an engaging narrative. While the novel earns a perfect 5 out of 5 stars for its impressive content, it could benefit from a glossary at its conclusion to clarify intricate medical terms and expansive vocabulary. Despite this, the inclusion of such terms did not hinder my reading experience. I found no errors too.

In summary, this narrative stands out for its ingenuity, aligning with its primary objective of enlightening children. It successfully intertwines spiritual elements without becoming overly didactic. I wholeheartedly commend this work by Charles W. Page, MD, for its literary excellence and captivating storytelling.

The Lizard in Lizzy's Gizzard
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This detailed review of "The Lizard in Lizzy's Gizzard" is helpful, providing insights into the captivating narrative, exquisite illustrations, and valuable lessons of the book. It is sufficient in covering the book's strengths and suggesting a minor improvement. The positive assessment and commendation of the author's creativity are likely to motivate readers to consider purchasing the book. From the reviewer's perspective, it appears to be a good addition to anyone's library, particularly for children and adolescents.
Aleena Augustine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa

Post by Aleena Augustine »

This book appears to be a delightful blend of creativity and life lessons. The quirky premise of a lizard in a gizzard coupled with vibrant illustrations promises an entertaining escape. I'm curious to explore the imaginative world and uncover the valuable lessons seamlessly woven into the narrative. Thanks for sharing your insights!
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

This review provides a concise and captivating overview of "Share The Lizard in Lizzy's Gizzard." The reviewer praises the book for its engaging narrative, exquisite illustrations, and valuable life lessons. The incorporation of spiritual elements is applauded for not being overly didactic. The only suggested improvement is the inclusion of a glossary to clarify medical terms and vocabulary. Overall, the review indicates that the book is an excellent read.
Enjani Matendeko
Currently Reading: Nightlord
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjani-matendeko.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Enjani Matendeko »

Lizzy's gizzard? I guess Lizzy is a bird that ate a lizard. There's a lesson in Lizzy not telling her parents on time. It could have been fatal. I think children shouldn't hide any health discomfort from their parents
McDonald Lauren
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcdonald-lauren.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by McDonald Lauren »

I was enthralled by the whimsical and thought-provoking narrative of 'The Lizard in Lizzy's Gizzard.' Charles W. Page, MD, has created a world that is both fantastical and relatable, with characters that jump off the page. This book is a testament to the power of storytelling and its ability to inspire and educate readers of all ages.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

Charles W. Page, MD, has penned a truly unique and captivating tale in 'The Lizard in Lizzy's Gizzard.' From the moment I picked it up, I was drawn into Elizabeth's world, filled with vivid imagery and unexpected twists. The incorporation of spiritual themes adds depth to the narrative, making it a must-read for children and adults alike.
Mary Clarkee
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-clarkee.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by Mary Clarkee »

Charles W. Page, MD, showcases his storytelling prowess in 'The Lizard in Lizzy's Gizzard,' crafting a truly unique and captivating tale. From the initial pages, I found myself immersed in Elizabeth's world, enriched with vivid imagery and unexpected twists. The inclusion of spiritual themes adds depth to the narrative, making it a compelling read suitable for both children and adults.
Baggett Yori
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baggett-yori.html
Latest Review: The Temple Of Truth And Lies by James Duvall

Post by Baggett Yori »

Your review of "The Lizard in Lizzy's Gizzard" effectively encapsulates the essence of the story and highlights its strengths, making it informative for potential readers.

You provide a concise summary of the narrative, detailing the unusual situation of Elizabeth ingesting a lizard named Lazarus Machiavelli, who finds his way into her gizzard. Congrats on your published review.

Return to “Children's Books”