Review of Charonia Research Children's Book

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat by Richard Trebilcock

Review of Charonia Research Children's Book

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Charonia Research Children's Book" by John Paterson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Can we all now agree that "the problem certainly starts up there, not down here" (page 17)—that humans' unhealthy activities pose great threats to the health and continuous existence of marine life? This children's story also makes a strong statement about how situations like overfishing and climate change adversely affect coral reefs and provides ways through which all these can be tackled. In between, we get to read about the "chase and hide" battles between the predators, Tritons, and their prey, Starfish.

I found this story to be a very important contribution to the topic of conservation of sea life in particular and sustainable living in general. It's unfortunate that most humans do not care or are ignorant of the consequences of their actions on coral reefs and marine life, despite the many messages, appeals, warnings, and lectures that have been organized by ecowarriors. John Paterson, the author of this children's story, has just lent his voice to this call through this book. I hope his voice gets heard.

Dan the Diver is a remarkable ecowarrior. It was interesting reading about his birth and the many things he learned from his mother and his uncle, Albert. These explain the things the adult Dan now does. To a wider application, these show how much environment and upbringing can influence children's future passions and career choices. It is therefore pertinent that parents and caregivers give children every necessary resource and healthy space they need to nurture, thrive, and explore their potential.

I also enjoyed reading about Dan's diving skills and the joint effort with his team to locate the shells. I also got to know several things about starfish, their various species, and their struggles with their predators, Tritons. The illustrations were amazing! However, I need to point out that the storyline is, basically, "rigid." It lacks fluidity, and there is often no coherence in the narrative as it shifts from the starfish and Tritons to Dan's childhood and the activities with the diving team. The presentation seemed more like bits and pieces of a school lesson than an actual story. There are also punctuation and grammar mistakes that need to be fixed.

I rate "Charonia Research Children's Book," written by John Paterson, four out of five stars. I had to remove a star due to the aforementioned complaints. Yet, this story will make an interesting read for children aged four to twelve.

Charonia Research Children's Book
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: The Incarnation by Arthur Telling

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This review of "Charonia Research Children's Book" provides a good level of detail, covering various aspects of the book's content and structure. The reviewer appreciates the book's exploration of the impact of human activities on marine life and the inclusion of solutions for tackling these issues. They also highlight the engaging "chase and hide" battles and the character of Dan the Diver as a remarkable ecowarrior. The reviewer finds the book's emphasis on environment and upbringing influencing children's passions and career choices to be significant.

While the reviewer enjoyed reading about Dan's diving skills and the illustrations, they express concerns about the storyline lacking fluidity and coherence, and they note punctuation and grammar mistakes that need correction.

Overall, this review can be considered helpful as it provides insights into the book's strengths and weaknesses. It may motivate readers who are interested in children's books on marine conservation to consider purchasing "Charonia Research Children's Book." However, the reviewer's rating of four out of five stars indicates that there are some areas for improvement.

From the reviewer's perspective, it appears that the book could be a worthwhile addition to a library, particularly for children aged four to twelve who are interested in learning about marine conservation and enjoying engaging storytelling.
Mehak hameed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Mehak hameed »

Very intresting and cute book i want to share littlle bit summary of this book . it includes the four short stories: Don't Blame Me, What We Like To Eat, Dan The Diver Joins STEM Club, and Dan The Diver And SCUBA.

"Don't blame me," said the little boy. "The problem with our oceans is that they're huge.""That's what I've been telling them for 60 years," said Paddy the Starfish."I'm just a baby, so don't blame me" said Junior to Bubbles the slug. "The problem is up there"."Something must have changed, but what was it?" said Angel Fish. "I suspect lots of things"."I know that you're talking about me," said Thorny passing by quickly for good reason."I know that you're here somewhere, Thorny" said Dan the diver. "You can't outrun me"."You won't get away next time Thorny," said Triton. "Your days are numbered"."That's all right for you to say Triton," said Nudibranch. "You have a shell and lots of food"."And the more often Thorny gets away, the hungrier they are for me," said another starfish."I might only be a shrimp, but I can look after myself when it comes to Thorny,""I don't mind a Thorny or two," said the Wrasse. "It's really a question of what we like to eat.""What do you mean by that Wrasse?" said the diver. "It depends on what we like to eat!"."I would have thought that it was obvious," said Wrasse. "I'm not just a pretty face"."It's not just what we eat," said baby starfish. "As I keep saying the problem is up there"."We're so pretty and up there they think that the ocean is so huge," said baby Fish."Thank-you Wrasse and Baby Starfish, the problem certainly starts up there, not down here"."President, Dan the Diver tells me that we have a problem. The ocean needs these shells"."All of us creatures play a role, even if we are just slugs, shrimp or starfish," they all said."So, at the end of the day it depends on us all, even humans. We can't just blame Thorny"

Prey Preference

It all depends on what we like to eat or maybe not.

"I'm going to put all you starfish in a cage with Triton and see which species get eaten," said Dan the Diver. "That should tell us its prey preference. What could possibly go wrong?"

"It all depends on what we like to eat," said Triton "but remember that these starfish are poisonous, so leave them for me. One is even venomous, so don't touch them unless you know the difference."

"I don't mind eating you Elegant Starfish," said Triton "but you are not much of a feed". I know how to deal with your poisons and armor but unless I am very hungry, I wouldn't bother."

"You both know what to do," said Triton "you stay out of my way. You even hide under coral rubble in the shallows. Now-a-days, I stay away from there as divers and shell collectors love me for my shell."

"If I eat one of your arms, you will just grow another," said Triton "You can just cast them off and get away. You hide under rubble in the shallows as well."

"I know all about tritons," said the Starfish. "I luckily escaped from one about a month ago but my arms are now starting to regrow".

"I'm the Blue Starfish called Linckia," said another. "My skin is very tough but Triton still eats me. Luckily, I'm not one of its favorites and it has to be pretty hungry to eat me".

"Dan the Diver used to think that I was Triton's favorite food because they ate more of me," said Nardoa Starfish. "Then they discovered that I was just slow and didn't get away."

"I'm super-fast for a starfish," said Thorny. "I can often get away from Triton if I am bigger. I'm good tucker for Triton but in nature it's often not what you like to eat but what you can catch."

"So you can't just put things in a cage and expect it to be like the real world," said Dan the Diver. "When you watch Triton closely, you see that Thorny is good at escaping from Triton".
Kirui Collins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirui-collins.html
Latest Review: Zen and the Art of Writing by Ray Hodgson

Post by Kirui Collins »

We should all be careful about how we handle our marine life. Our actions are the ones which mostly have a negative impact on the water sources. Thanks for the review.
Minaxiben Chandrakant Patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minaxiben-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: Death by Chaos by Renaii West

Post by Minaxiben Chandrakant Patel »

Your review of "Charonia Research Children's Book" by John Paterson provides a comprehensive overview of the children's story, emphasizing its significance in addressing environmental issues, particularly the threats posed to marine life by human activities. Your detailed insights highlight the book's educational value and its potential impact on young readers.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your insights have piqued my interest, and I'm excited to dive into the book. Your review convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they've inspired me to explore further
Tomy Chandrafrost
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

I used to spend my childhood playing by the bay, searching for crabs. But I don't know much about the sea. This children's book seems interesting to me because it can provide insights about the ocean while reminding us to protect the environment. I think this is relevant considering the worsening climate change. Thank you for the review; it reminds me of the importance of environmental education for children and makes me want to check out this book.

Return to “Children's Books”