Review of My Protest

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rashad Deniro Price
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashad-deniro-price.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Review of My Protest

Post by Rashad Deniro Price »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Protest" by Linda Bessellieu et.al.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Meet Jaliyah as she tells us a couple of things about herself and her people: the black population. Jaliyah is in first grade. She tells us about her school, her favorite subjects, and the sports she participates in. She also talks about the "Black Struggles" and the many wonderful things this race has been able to accomplish across various fields, including leadership and innovation. This account is a suitable read for children between the ages of five and nine.

I found this account particularly interesting due to several things, and these were most remarkable to me: the message that all black people should know their history, preserve the true account of their existence and struggles, and resist any attempts to alter it. It references Marcus Garvey's statement, "A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin, and culture is like a tree without roots," to remind them of the implications of doing otherwise.

Jaliyah's sense of pride in her people's achievements is impressive. She has been motivated by those feats to strive to do exciting things with her life as well. There is a lot of inspiration in Jaliyah's account of what black people like Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Ruby Bridges, DJ Kool Herc, and Barack Obama have done. Her account calls on the present and future black generations to sustain the momentum and do even more.

This book expects that people be allowed free access to authentic black history. It also encourages black people to avail themselves of every civil instrument to protect their history from being distorted. I appreciated these efforts. The illustrations are perfect, and the language is simple. The job done with the editing is commendable. I found just two grammatical errors in the book.

"My Protest: Please Don't Erase Our History!" earns 5 out of 5 stars for its courageous advocacy to preserve black history and innovation. I did not dislike anything in this book and do not have any reason to lower the rating. The authors, Linda G. Bessellieu, Jaliyah Bessellieu-Webb, and Tawana Bessellieu, have done a great job with this book.

My Protest
View: on Bookshelves
Minaxiben Chandrakant Patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minaxiben-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: Death by Chaos by Renaii West

Post by Minaxiben Chandrakant Patel »

Your emphasis on the importance of black people knowing their history, preserving their true account, and resisting any attempts to alter it reflects the book's significant message. The use of Marcus Garvey's statement adds depth to the narrative, emphasizing the roots of identity and culture.
Lisa P Cowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

The book is a simple way of understanding the history of black individuals. It is educative from what I can see in the review and individuals will find the learning process fun. The illustrations will add to this too. You wrote a wonderful review.
Imran Haider
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Imran Haider »

The book is a simple way of understanding the history of black individuals. It is educative from what I can see in the review and individuals will find the learning process fun. The illustrations will add to this too. You wrote a wonderful review
Aleena Augustine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Aleena Augustine »

Your review got me hooked on the book. Sounds like a compelling exploration of black history and a call to preserve it. Thanks for sharing your insights!
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

This review provides a positive and enthusiastic perspective on the book "My Protest: Please Don't Erase Our History!" It highlights the importance of preserving black history and praises the book's efforts in advocating for this cause. The reviewer appreciates the simple language, commendable editing, and perfect illustrations in the book. Overall, the review portrays the book as a good read, giving it a 5 out of 5 stars rating.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat by Richard Trebilcock

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

It is very necessary that we know our history, which will enable us better appreciate the struggles, sacrifices, mistakes, and exploits of our past generations and enable us forge better future. I really enjoyed reading what this character Jaliyah has done to encourage this.
Tomy Chandrafrost
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

As a minority feeling that my culture is also starting to erode in my country, this book review provides interesting insights into how we can teach children about race. Your writing is great, and it makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this.

Return to “Children's Books”