Review of Peanut Butter & Jelly Go Good Together

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily Schrum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-schrum.html
Latest Review: Peanut Butter & Jelly Go Good Together by CARLOTTA LENOR Washington

Review of Peanut Butter & Jelly Go Good Together

Post by Emily Schrum »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Peanut Butter & Jelly Go Good Together" by CARLOTTA LENOR Washington.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“Peanut Butter & Jelly Go Good Together” by Carlotta Lenor Washington is a children’s book about two best friends, Dee and Carla. Dee is white, and Carla is black, but the two preschoolers couldn’t be any closer, and they don’t let differences like race or the kind of sandwiches they eat come between them.

This story is an easy read for young children just learning how to read. It touches a bit on race and shows that even though people can be different, that doesn’t change the friendship two kids can have. It also entices young readers to try new food. The illustrations are adorable and fun.

While the story is supposed to be of two children who come to an understanding that just because they are different from one another, they can still be best friends, it doesn’t read that way. It is barely mentioned that Dee and Carla are different races, and the story does not state that the children even understand what that means. The main focus is on the sandwiches, which drags on for several unnecessary pages. Ultimately, it seems the only thing Carla and Dee learned was about trying new foods and not about the differences between them and why that doesn’t change their friendship. The book is meant for very young readers; kids that young need things put plainly in front of them, but “Peanut Butter & Jelly Go Good Together” only hints at what the main moral is supposed to be. Many grammatical errors indicate that the book was not professionally edited.

I give “Peanut Butter & Jelly Go Good Together” by Carlotta Lenor Washington 3 out of 5 stars. One star was removed for the dragging-on of the sandwich switch moment and the lack of the moral being obviously present. The second star was removed for the multiple grammatical errors.

I wouldn’t recommend this book to anyone because it is full of grammatical errors, but if fixed, then I would recommend it to parents and guardians of young children who are just starting to read. It would also be suitable for teachers who want help explaining differences between people and how that isn’t a bad thing.

Peanut Butter & Jelly Go Good Together
View: on Bookshelves
Anyane David
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anyane David »

This is super amazing book!
It entails a lot that our children may know their values in their friendship and also how to accept the culture of one another.
I recommend this to all parents to get it for their children to read.
Ruth Chege 2
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-chege-2.html
Latest Review: Madam Vice President by Julian Mann

Post by Ruth Chege 2 »

From the book's title, I think the story was about peanut butter and Jelly, which obviously go well with bread and sandwiches. I'm not surprised the author emphasised on sandwiches. However, no one enjoys reading a boom that is not professionally edited. Nice review.
Annalisa Whyte
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annalisa-whyte.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Annalisa Whyte »

I agreeeee this book was entirely dragged the author was lazy
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The review suggests that "Peanut Butter & Jelly Go Good Together" by Carlotta Lenor Washington may not be the best read due to several grammatical errors and a lack of clear moral presentation. The book is deemed suitable for very young readers learning to read, but the focus on sandwiches instead of addressing differences between the characters may be a drawback. The overall rating given to the book is 3 out of 5 stars.

Return to “Children's Books”