Review of Why is Mommy Crying?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rashad Deniro Price
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashad-deniro-price.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Review of Why is Mommy Crying?

Post by Rashad Deniro Price »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Why is Mommy Crying?" by I. Cori Baill MD.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Max is always excited to be around his parents; they make him feel loved and valuable. Today, as always, he goes to knock on his parents' door with his stuffed animal buddy, Mink. However, Mommy is not in her room, and when Max finds her, he discovers she is sad and crying. What could be wrong with Mommy?

This children's story addresses the issue of grief, particularly that resulting from miscarriage. It highlights the mental torture parents faced with this situation go through and how the rest of the family, especially the kids, struggle to make sense of such a reality. I liked that this theme was thoroughly developed using simple and engaging language.

The author, I. Cori Baill, MD, has done a great job explaining to children what miscarriage is through simple means they can easily understand and connect to. This approach helped address Max's concerns about the fate of miscarried babies and generally placed him on a safer path to recovery. I believe other children who will come to read this book will find it impactful as well.

I appreciate Heather Bell for the great job she did with the illustrations. The paintings are bright and look so real. I could feel from the paintings Mommy's sadness and Max's innocent concerns. Equally notable is the exceptional editing done in this book. I didn't come across any grammatical errors. There is no area I think could be improved in this children's story, and considering the aforementioned positive aspects, I rate it 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend "Why is Mommy Crying?—Explaining Early Pregnancy Loss to Young Children" to children aged three to nine. It is my hope that they get better informed about certain ugly sides of life and are better empowered to navigate them. I also hope that as parents and caregivers read this book to or with children, they learn from Max's parents and recognize the need to provide children with all the love, care, and emotional support they need.

Why is Mommy Crying?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tijani Islamiat Kofoworola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tijani-islamiat-kofoworola.html

Post by Tijani Islamiat Kofoworola »

Awesome 👍!. With this review, it shows that the author explains to children what miscarriage is, through simple means and I'm looking forward to reading the novel and using it as an opportunity to guide my younger ones on what miscarriage could whirl a family of such into.
Suguna K
Currently Reading: The Fish House
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suguna-k.html
Latest Review: Trinities to Enneagrams, 2nd Edition by Allen David Young
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Suguna K »

:D :tiphat: :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
Chunnu Muduli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chunnu-muduli.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chunnu Muduli »

This is really a one of a kind book. I'm moved by the potential impact this book could have and would definitely consider reading it to gain insights into navigating difficult conversations with children. Thanks for the amazing review!
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

This review highly praises the children's book "Why is Mommy Crying? Explaining Early Pregnancy Loss to Young Children". It commends the author for effectively addressing the topic of miscarriage through simple and engaging language that children can understand. The illustrations are also praised for effectively conveying the emotions of the characters. Additionally, the review highlights the book's exceptional editing and recommends it to children aged three to nine. Overall, the reviewer rates the book 5 out of 5 stars and believes it will be impactful for young readers.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat by Richard Trebilcock

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

Not every adult knows how to deal with grief, especially ones that are deep, come to think of what children faced with this reality will do. I appreciate the author for the simple strategy taken to explain to children the grief of pregnancy loss and how to navigate this situation. I recommend it.
Tomy Chandrafrost
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

I often wonder in life, when I become a parent, how I will teach difficult topics like grief and facing sadness. The review of this book is interesting, providing an overview that this might be the answer to my question. Thank you for writing this review.

Return to “Children's Books”