Review of My Trip to the Hair Salon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat by Richard Trebilcock

Review of My Trip to the Hair Salon

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Trip to the Hair Salon" by Gordana Koljuskov & Neda Koljuskov.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Timmy is scared each time he hears the word "haircut." He feels that his body is going to get cut. So, it was really an issue for Timmy when his mom told him he needed to have a haircut to get himself ready for the birthday party of his best friend, Taylor. Timmy's parents try to convince him that having a haircut is safe and painless, but he just wouldn't feel safe enough to get that done.

At the hair salon, Timmy continues to protest against having a haircut. What could be the way forward? Can the hairdresser succeed where Timmy's parents failed and convince Timmy to have a haircut, and if she does, what could she have said or done differently? If she doesn't, what happens to the birthday celebration?

Gordana Koljuskov is an experienced hairstylist, having spent over twenty years in the profession. She spent most of those years as a children's hairdresser. So, it follows that she must have come across so many children with different attitudes toward having a haircut. She has decided to make a children's story out of this with the help of her daughter, Neda Koljuskov.

Gordana has done a great job creating a very skillful, kind, and friendly character like herself and creating a perfect character that depicts most children's attitudes towards haircuts. The hairdresser's approaches are simple and powerful, and I did appreciate how those helped address Timmy's concerns. I found Timmy's character realistic. He has valid reasons to be scared, and most children his age would act the same. There is a short note at the end of the story that would help parents get their children to feel safe and comfortable enough for a haircut.

The illustrations are amazing. The attention paid to the editing is commendable. I didn't find any grammatical errors in the book. There is nothing that I disliked in this book, and given the aforementioned merits, I rate it five out of five stars. "My Trip to the Hair Salon" is recommended for every child who gets scared or feels uncomfortable whenever it's time to have their haircut. It is also a suitable read for every other child, as the story is fun (especially the account of the incidents at the hair salon) and educational.

My Trip to the Hair Salon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-gye.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Timothy Gye »

Thank you for providing such a thorough and enthusiastic review of Patricia Conroy's "Mockingbird Moon". Your observations regarding the book's captivating plot, outstanding visuals, and educational value are useful to future readers. It's encouraging to learn how the author was able to pique people's interest in nature and bird watching. Your personal connection to the narrative, together with the recommendations for different audiences, gives dimension to the review. Excellent job conveying your passion!
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

The review is positive and praises the book, "My Trip to the Hair Salon," for its relatable and realistic characters, powerful approaches to address concerns, amazing illustrations, and lack of grammatical errors. The reviewer rates it five out of five stars and recommends it as a great read for children who feel scared or uncomfortable about getting a haircut. Overall, the book appears to be a highly recommended and enjoyable read.
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

This story indeed looks hilarious. I hope Timmy can overcome her fears.
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

The relatable struggles of Timmy and the clever approaches of the hairdresser to address his fears make it sound like a heartwarming and educational read. I'm especially excited about the realistic portrayal of children's attitudes towards haircuts and the helpful note for parents at the end. The combination of a skilled, kind character and fantastic illustrations promises an engaging experience.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.
Sweeter Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sweeter Parker »

This books sounds the amazing. I love the relatability of the content and also love the fact that the reviewer points to that. I'll check the book out. Great review!
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your insights have piqued my interest, and I'm excited to dive into the book. Your review convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they've inspired me to explore further

Return to “Children's Books”