Review of Mockingbird Moon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Review of Mockingbird Moon

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mockingbird Moon" by Patricia Conroy.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

What is that sound? Why is that sound happening right now, at night? A young boy asks these questions in the children’s picture book, Mockingbird Moon by Patricia Conroy, when a mockingbird begins to sing outside his room while he attempts to sleep.

This book is a sweet and simple children’s book that was a joy to read. The illustrations are inviting and done in a unique artistic way. The author cleverly uses gradient-style coloring to add texture to each page.

One of my favorite aspects of the book is the curious nature of the protagonist and storyteller. The young boy, who is being kept awake by this very active bird, shares what could be keeping the mockingbird awake. Going through the possibilities of perhaps the bird being ill or having a laugh with a friend allows readers to understand better that animals have both feelings and thoughts, just like people do. Allowing this to happen can only help children become interested in nature and be more willing to take care of our Earth and its creatures.

Being a bird watcher herself, the author invites children and adults to become bird watchers. I have two friends who drive and fly to different places to bird-watch and capture these sweet creatures on film as a hobby. This is such a wonderful and calming hobby to encourage people to have, and I appreciate the author's attempt to inspire readers to pick up this activity.

Another fun aspect of this book is the educational piece the author included. I did not know that mockingbirds sing during the day and at night. One of the reasons I love picture books is because they can be a great tool for instruction, and the author did just that here.

As a bonus, once my older toddler saw the physical copy of Mockingbird Moon, he immediately wanted to read it. We read it four times in a row! The author has written something incredible that has captured my little one’s attention. Due to my enjoyment of the story, the encouragement of such a sweet hobby, there were no errors, and the fact that I found nothing to dislike, undoubtedly, Mockingbird Moon by Patricia Conroy deserves 5 out of 5 stars.

I happily recommend Mockingbird Moon to preschoolers to lower elementary-aged children. Parents and guardians could easily read this as a bedtime story. Librarians and teachers can use this as an educational tool. Lastly, those who work with birds and animals could use this book for story time at a local library.

Mockingbird Moon
View: on Bookshelves
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Muhammad fayis KN
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 2
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Muhammad fayis KN »

It's heartwarming to see how the book engages young readers with curiosity, nature, and the joy of bird-watching. The educational elements and the charming storytelling make it a delightful addition to children's literature.
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-gye.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Timothy Gye »

Thank you for providing such a thorough and enthusiastic review of Patricia Conroy's "Mockingbird Moon". Your observations regarding the book's captivating plot, outstanding visuals, and educational value are useful to future readers. It's encouraging to learn how the author was able to pique people's interest in nature and bird watching. Your personal connection to the narrative, together with the recommendations for different audiences, gives dimension to the review. Excellent job conveying your passion!
Oche_1990
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Oche_1990 »

Thanks for your review, it's a thoughtful an excellent story so far
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:

Post by Timothy Gye »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review, Your detailed analysis highlights the author's skillful blend of science and marketing concepts, enriched by engaging personal anecdotes. It's encouraging to see the positive impact of real-world examples and the effectiveness of practical insights. Your thorough appreciation, including the absence of dislikes and recognition of the well-edited content, reinforces the book's value. Your 5-star rating and recommendation make a compelling case for readers!
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:

Post by Timothy Gye »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review, Your detailed analysis highlights the author's skillful blend of science and marketing concepts, enriched by engaging personal anecdotes. It's encouraging to see the positive impact of real-world examples and the effectiveness of practical insights. Your thorough appreciation, including the absence of dislikes and recognition of the well-edited content, reinforces the book's value. Your 5-star rating and recommendation make a compelling case for readers!
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

The review for "Mockingbird Moon" by Patricia Conroy is highly positive. The book is described as sweet and simple, with inviting illustrations done in a unique artistic style. The protagonist's curiosity and the educational aspect of the story are praised. The encouragement of bird-watching as a hobby is appreciated, and the reviewer found no flaws or dislikes. Overall, the review indicates that "Mockingbird Moon" is a fantastic read, highly recommended for preschoolers to lower elementary-aged children, as well as for parents, guardians, librarians, teachers, and those working with birds and animals.
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

Thanks for this lovely review
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

The protagonist's curious nature and the clever exploration of the mockingbird's feelings create a heartwarming tale that's both educational and engaging. I love how the author encourages bird watching as a calming hobby – a delightful invitation to connect with nature. The unique illustrations and the bonus of discovering when mockingbirds sing make this a must-read. With a toddler's seal of approval and a solid 5-star recommendation, I can't wait to share this charming story with my little ones!
Dora Tupek 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dora-tupek-1.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Dora Tupek 1 »

The review of "Mockingbird Moon" by Patricia Conroy paints a charming picture of a sweet and educational children's book. The inviting illustrations, coupled with the protagonist's inquisitive nature and the author's encouragement of bird-watching, make it sound like an enjoyable and enriching read. The positive feedback, lack of dislikes, and the 5-star rating leave a strong impression, making me inclined to read "Mockingbird Moon" for its delightful storytelling and educational value.

Return to “Children's Books”