Review of The Phantom Lake and Death's Train

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Hoofprints in Saguaro Shadows by Shay Taggert

Review of The Phantom Lake and Death's Train

Post by Mayang Bature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Phantom Lake and Death's Train" by Caleb Miranda.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Caleb Miranda's book, "The Phantom Lake and Death's Train," tells the story of Thomas Hunter, a Kingship Vale resident who was the only child born to Emma Hunter. Thomas and his mother resided in this quiet little town until an event occurred on Christmas Day, when Thomas's mother perished in a fire. The 12-year-old, who loved to dream and go on imaginative adventures, was devastated by this tragedy and, in his search for solace and calm, stumbled upon an opening that led to another realm. Will he enter this enigmatic entrance and search for fresh experiences to soothe himself? Learn more by reading this book.

This book provides an example of what it's like to experience a loved one's death. In an attempt to find solace at his mother's grave, Thomas discovers something unexpected and embarks on an odyssey where he must overcome several obstacles and conflicts. In order to defend the goblins' light—or faith—against the evil enemy, Thomas was forced to engage in combat in chapter 14. He dealt with all of these challenges in an effort to run away from the fact that he would be living without his beloved mother.

I adore the author's creativity and the way he connected each of them in the book to conjure up a fantastic mental picture for me as I read. Thomas encounters a variety of interesting people on his voyage through the unknown, including Roland, a monster who helped him and saved his life. Another person who gave her life to protect Thomas from harm was Lily. The novel addresses a wide range of life difficulties, including anxiety, suicide, and grief—as demonstrated by Emma's death—among many others.

One thing I don't like about this book is that, many times, I'm never sure of the difference between Thomas’ fantasies and the present. I believe that a label identifying which is which needs to be present. If you read on, you'll finally get it, even though it becomes irritating at times. Anyone who is grieving the loss of a loved one should read this book; it will be consoling. It is also great for kids who like to entertain fantasies as well. While reading this book, I only came across two noticeable errors, but they had no bearing on how the text flowed. All things considered, I give this book five out of five stars. The negative aspect above was easily ignored and does not warrant the deduction of a star.

The Phantom Lake and Death's Train
View: on Bookshelves
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

Based on the review, "The Phantom Lake and Death's Train" seems to be an engaging and comforting read for those grieving the loss of a loved one. The author's creativity in weaving the story and their ability to address significant life difficulties like anxiety and grief is commendable. However, the reviewer did mention some confusion between Thomas's fantasies and reality, which could have been clarified with better labeling. Overall, the book received a perfect rating of five out of five stars, indicating that it is a highly recommended read.

Return to “Children's Books”