Review of Allthelittlebabies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaituni Sanghavi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaituni-sanghavi.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Review of Allthelittlebabies

Post by Jaituni Sanghavi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Allthelittlebabies" by Terri Lanier.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever been in a situation where you’re handed the job of babysitting a newborn child while the parents are away, but the baby just won’t sleep? Well, I was once in this stressful situation where the baby just kept crying, and no matter what I did or how hard I tried to lull the baby, he wouldn’t just stop crying! It was one stressful situation, trust me, and I remember, at that time, I turned to God and asked him to help me just like Terri Lanier, the author of the book All the Little Babies, did!

Inspired by her own experiences babysitting her grandson, Wes, she has dedicated this book to all grandchildren and every sleepy baby around the world. It serves as a gentle companion for caregivers, parents, and anyone entrusted with the delicate task of putting a baby to sleep.

In the book, Lanier shares her personal journey with babysitting, which took an unexpected turn when faced with the challenge of putting a baby to sleep. However, she shares a secret in the book that she discovered seven years ago that could help other babysitters dealing with a similar problem. What’s the secret? Well, you have to check the book for that.

What I liked about the book is the author's genuine and compassionate approach to assisting every childcare provider and parent in soothing babies to sleep, one at a time. The dedication to her grandchildren, coupled with the acknowledgment of the sleepy babies worldwide, adds a touching and inclusive dimension to the book.

I loved the colorful illustrations by Nykki Lee Carthon. They are actually the main part of the book, considering there is no text at all in the book. Yes, you read it right; the book doesn’t have any text except for the introduction and acknowledgments. The story’s entire weight falls on the illustrations.

While this is good, I felt that the author should have added some text too, more like a short story that was accompanied by illustrations. The concept of just the illustrations doing the talking did not really resonate with me. Also, the book is extremely short, even with the illustrations. It will hardly take you even 10 minutes to go through the book, which I believe is a little unfair. While I appreciate the author for the message she is trying to put across, the book lacks storytelling and overall appeal. Considering all these factors, I rate this book 2 out of 5 stars. I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would. The editing, however, is flawless.

As for the recommendation, you can definitely try it, but I wouldn’t recommend it strongly.

Allthelittlebabies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The Road To Weight Loss by Oliver James

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

Excited to discover the secret behind soothing sleepless babies through Terri Lanier's unique, illustration-driven narrative in 'All the Little Babies'. The blend of personal experience and artistic storytelling promises a heartwarming journey.
Ringle Nashak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ringle-nashak.html
Latest Review: The Kovalenko Secret by Philip L Rettew

Post by Ringle Nashak »

illustration-driven narrative in 'All the Little Babies'. The blend of personal experience and artistic storytelling promises a heartwarming journey.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Homecoming Heist by Tyson Collin

Post by Priya Murugesan »

The book sounds different. I too have experienced non-stop crying babies. It is a nightmare. I like to try the book because of the unique concept and good illustrations.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

Now I'm interested in knowing how to deal with the issue of having to put a baby to sleep. It's usually always difficult. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Sweeter Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sweeter Parker »

The topic itself is interesting but based on the rating the reviewer gave I might not read this book. Thanks to the review for their honesty. Great job!

Return to “Children's Books”