Review of The Unique Friendship of Grover and Steve

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat by Richard Trebilcock

Review of The Unique Friendship of Grover and Steve

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Unique Friendship of Grover and Steve" by Lee Cherry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Grover, a donkey, and Steve, an ostrich, are different from each other in several ways, ranging from their bodies' structure to their way of life, but they somehow learn to accommodate their differences and forge great friendships. This does not go down well with other animals living in the Great Plains, especially Grover's fellow donkeys, but Grover and Steve are determined to maintain their friendship and are ready to endure every mockery and isolation. Soon, an incident occurs in the Great Plains, and no one ever expected who would save that situation. There are lessons to be learned.

The Unique Friendship of Grover and Steve is a children's story written by Lee Cherry. I found the story interesting and was always anticipating and wondering what next turn Grover and Steve's friendship would take, given that most animals in the plains considered their friendship incompatible. I also appreciated the simple word choices used in the narrative, which should make it very easy for children to read the story.

Furthermore, the story teaches children invaluable lessons that are very much needed in this time of prevalent quest for external validations and divisive ideologies. Among others, the story criticizes any forms of bigotry, encourages respect for other people's identity (be it their body structure, race, or gender), and celebrates the beauty of being courageous to walk alone—if it comes to that—in adherence to one's values and convictions. Grover, Steve, the leader of the donkeys, and the leader of the ostriches perfectly represented the themes explored in this story. This is a well-edited work. I didn't find any grammatical errors in it.

However, there are some areas that I think need improvement. Although the illustrations served their basic functions of complementing and adding depth to the story, the quality didn't impress me much. I would have appreciated clearer and richer paintings. Also, the narrative about Grover and Steve's defense of the plains didn't appear convincing to me. I think creating a more organized and larger number of participants in the defense (which should include more dangerous animals like hyenas and elephants) or giving Grover and Steve special powers to match the task at hand would make things more realistic.

I am removing one star due to the above issues and giving this book four out of five stars. The Unique Friendship of Grover and Steve, written by Lee Cherry, is recommended for readers aged six to eight. I am confident they will be impacted by the great values explored in this story.

The Unique Friendship of Grover and Steve
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I always love children stories especially animal stories. I loved reading your review and I believe me and my kids would enjoy this story.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
George Nduuru
Favorite Book: Original Wisdom
Currently Reading: If... and other stories
Bookshelf Size: 50
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 3%

Post by George Nduuru »

You conducted such a thorough review. Children should learn valuable lessons from the children's book The Unique Friendship of Grover and Steve, especially about unity and togetherness. According to you, if there was an issue in the animal community, then unity was necessary to defend the cause.
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

The positive aspects of the story, such as the interesting narrative, simple word choices suitable for children, and the valuable lessons it imparts, are well-praised. The focus on themes like critiquing bigotry, promoting respect for diversity, and celebrating courage aligns with the your commendations.
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your insights have piqued my interest, and I'm excited to dive into the book. Your review convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they've inspired me to explore further
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

Thank you for your valuable insights about this book. You've explained about the book very well. I'll definitely add this to my reading list

Return to “Children's Books”