Review of Jestine Needs to Clean

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat by Richard Trebilcock

Review of Jestine Needs to Clean

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jestine Needs to Clean" by a.d. storm.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jestine, the dog, continues to procrastinate on cleaning up her room. Before she knows it, her room is a pile of mess, and she is exposed to unhealthy air and the risk of slipping from spilled fluid. But somehow, Jestine begins to see reasons to urgently clean up her room, and when she starts, it is a whole lot of fun, discovery, and refreshment—experiences she never expected and wouldn't have had if she continued the delay.

Jestine Needs to Clean is a children's story written by A. D. Storm. I so much admired the simple storyline and the matching illustrations. The central message in this story is the need to maintain a clean environment. Through this story, Storm encourages children to embark on regular cleanups of their environment and do what ought to be done on time. The dangers of laziness and delaying cleaning up our environment are highlighted, and apart from the risks these bring, we see that delayed domestic tasks cost more time, energy, and resources than they would have if done earlier.

The above message was clearly and succinctly developed. One other interesting development was the new world of fun, discovery, comfort, and refreshment Jestine found herself in when she began to tidy up her room. It was really beautiful to watch the illustrations showing the transformation following Jestine's cleanup. By doing so, the story presents to children the consequences of laziness, procrastination, and a dirty environment, as well as the rewards of a clean environment. This is a positive influence, and I am impressed by it. I guess every child who reads this story will learn to choose and do the right thing.

I found no issues in this book and found no reason to deduct any stars from the rating. This book is impeccably edited. The story is simple to read, well illustrated, and teaches children the importance of cleaning their rooms and environment when necessary. For these reasons, I rate Jestine Needs to Clean five out of five stars and recommend it to readers aged four to eight.

Jestine Needs to Clean
View: on Bookshelves
Taiwo Hakeem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taiwo-hakeem.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Taiwo Hakeem »

A simple and fun children's book can also be quite refreshing to adults

Return to “Children's Books”