Review of Fox Tales 2

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rashad Deniro Price
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashad-deniro-price.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Review of Fox Tales 2

Post by Rashad Deniro Price »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fox Tales 2" by Amelie Anastasia Kurshuk.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Fox Tales 2 is a children's story written by Amelie Anastasia Kurshuk. It is the second book in the Fox Tales series. In this installment, the kits, Nya, Hazel, and Fern, adventure into the human world again. It's been a long time since their last visit there, and this time around, they expect a lot of fun. They would link up with their old friend Snickerdoodle the dog and also get to enjoy the meat he promised them. Well, they will have to deal with the unexpected outcome and the new problem they found themselves in.

One thing that immediately caught my attention was the creativity that went into the book's title and the illustrations. It was amazing looking at the nature images infused into the book's title and the rich illustrations that complemented the story. These transported me to the wild, allowing me to immerse myself in its beauty and wonders. The story is divided into five short chapters, and I really appreciated the engaging, fluid narrative. I was drawn to the story right from the beginning when the foxes plan to visit the human world.

The characterization is great. The way Nya carried herself throughout the story appeared real to me. I could see the oldest fox trying to provide for and protect her younger ones and assert her position. Hazel's life revolves around eating and sleeping. As unambitious as this character might seem, I liked his simplicity and sense of humor. He is such a funny character, and he brought me some good laughter. Here is his hilarious response to Nya's request that he remain awake and watch over their little sister Fern: "I can’t promise that, but I can promise I’ll keep at least one eye open. I sleepwalk!" (Page 23). Fern's transformation as the story unfolds is also realistic and shows the incredible changes that can take place in times of necessity.

Through this story, Amelie has raised important points about life in the wild and the human world. I think it's best for humans to respect the way nature has ordered things. We can be content with domestic animals and pets if we want to, and we can stop the arrogance of trying to distort nature. Now, a deeper study of Cedar's protest against the human in this story is not just about name change but his desire to be allowed to live freely and exist in the way he was created. This is better shown in the way he felt when he joined his fellow foxes in the wild.

I recommend Fox Tales 2 to readers aged two to ten. They will enjoy this fox story, learn a couple of things from the transformation of the character Fern, appreciate life in the wild and the human world, and recognize the need to respect and preserve nature. The book was well edited. I found just three typographical errors in it. I have nothing to dislike in this book, and given the above positives, I rate it 5 out of 5 stars.

Fox Tales 2
View: on Bookshelves
Biswajit Barman 1
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 91
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Biswajit Barman 1 »

"Fox Tales 2" by Amelie Anastasia Kurshuk is a delightful addition to the Fox Tales series, offering young readers an enchanting adventure into the world of foxes. In this installment, the kits Nya, Hazel, and Fern embark on a journey into the human world, encountering unexpected challenges and learning valuable lessons along the way.

Return to “Children's Books”