Review of A Rhymed History of Dinosaurs: For Ruthless Children

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 339
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka

Review of A Rhymed History of Dinosaurs: For Ruthless Children

Post by Hager Salem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Rhymed History of Dinosaurs: For Ruthless Children" by Donald Brown.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Dinosaurs are creatures that have always intrigued the interest of many humans because of their unusual features and sizes. The fact that we have never really seen them added to our curiosity. They fascinate many kids and pique their interest. In A Rhymed History of Dinosaurs: For Ruthless Children, Donald Brown puts the history of dinosaurs in the form of short rhyming poems that tell the story of each type of dinosaur and feature some important information about it. It is meant to be for children and adults who may be interested. A picture of the dinosaur that they talk about and its name accompanies most poems.

The book is very interesting, and I can see the effort it must have taken to be able to put this information in the form of short poems. I'm sure it took a lot of time and effort from the writer, and I appreciate both. I like that the illustrations of the dinosaurs were abstract without any backgrounds or distractions, but I would have preferred them to be larger.

Mainly, the poems had useful information that could open many discussions and lead to some research from the children and the parents. I only miss having the fun element throughout the book. It didn't feel like it had this special touch of play and fun that children's books would usually have. It would have made it perfect from my point of view.

I enjoyed the book and admire the idea and how it was done. The book received exceptional editing. I didn't notice any errors or mistakes. I would have loved to see a more playful tone in it. Therefore, I rate A Rhymed History of Dinosaurs: For Ruthless Children by Donald Brown four out of five stars.

The book suits anyone interested in dinosaurs. It's directed at children aged nine and above and their parents. The idea of rhyming poems will help deliver the information easily to the children who have this interest or passion for dinosaurs and their history.

A Rhymed History of Dinosaurs: For Ruthless Children
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Children's Books”