Review of Letter to My Young Brothers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Isaac Oh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: What I Hear When God Speaks by Allen J Brown Jr

Review of Letter to My Young Brothers

Post by Isaac Oh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Letter to My Young Brothers" by Larry Ukali Johnson-Redd.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In today's society, the education system plays a crucial role in shaping the future of young individuals. However, for African American males, the path to success can often be filled with obstacles and challenges that hinder their growth and potential. In Letter to My Young Brothers, Larry Ukali Johnson-Redd delves into the complexities of this issue and offers insightful strategies and solutions to empower African American males to thrive academically and reach their full potential.

Larry knew firsthand the struggles of being an African American male in a system rigged against you. He addresses the challenges faced by African American males in the educational system and the world at large. He provides practical strategies for overcoming them. He draws upon his own experiences and research to offer a unique perspective on how to support and empower young African American men to excel academically and beyond.

By sharing his own journey and the strategies that helped him succeed, the author provides readers with practical, actionable advice that they can implement in their own lives. From addressing stereotypes and biases to providing tips, the author offers a comprehensive guide to navigating the school system and achieving success. The book is a straightforward and easily digestible resource for children, teenagers, parents, and educators. Also, the inclusion of poetry in this book is a unique and refreshing addition. The poems are interspersed throughout the book, providing a powerful emotional connection to the material.

As a black individual, this book truly struck a chord with me on a personal level. The experiences and struggles detailed within its pages are all too familiar to me, as I have faced similar challenges in both my educational journey and in navigating everyday life. The systemic injustices and inequalities that permeate our society are not only prevalent in the school system but also in various facets of our daily lives. The narrative presented in this book sheds light on the harsh reality that many young black males face. This book serves as a call to action for educators, policymakers, and society as a whole to dismantle the structures of oppression that hinder the success and progress of black students.

While the author did an admirable job, the book is marred by numerous errors. There are grammatical errors throughout the text, making it difficult to follow along at times. This issue is unfortunate, as the book has great potential to be a valuable resource.

Due to the issue stated above, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. This is a powerful book, and it is a must-read for educators, parents, and students alike, as it provides invaluable guidance and inspiration for helping African American males succeed in school and beyond.

Letter to My Young Brothers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomy Chandrafrost
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

Living as a minority in Indonesia, I understand the difficulty of this condition in hindering us from achieving success. The review of this book intrigued me when you mentioned that it deals with racial issues. I am still learning to understand various cultures, and I hope this book can provide insight into racial issues beyond my country. Thank you for the great review.

Return to “Children's Books”