Review of The Kitty Cat Brigade

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rashad Deniro Price
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashad-deniro-price.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Review of The Kitty Cat Brigade

Post by Rashad Deniro Price »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Kitty Cat Brigade" by Julianne Dumas.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The kitty-cat players came prepared. They have the piccolo, the horn, the shiny bells, the steel drums, and the cymbals. They are very skilled in the use of their instrument and produce such magical sounds that both the animals living in the field and the woods came out to watch and dance to their tunes. What a day to be alive!

I would say the illustrations appealed to me the most, and I commend Blueberry Illustrations for a job well done. This is one of the aspects that will immediately draw children into the story. The paintings are crisp, detailed, and match each of the scenes they represent. There is a special wonder in the painting on the book's cover; the painting of the various batches of the kitty cats marching with their instruments was so enthralling.

The Kitty Cat Brigade is a children's story written by Julianne Dumas. The narrative is very simple to follow. I think Julianne did something wonderful with the opening sentences. The description of the color of the sky, the sun, and the excitement in the air is vivid and filled me with suspense. I just wanted to know what would happen in the following pages. I wasn't disappointed with each page I turned.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars for the well-illustrated storyline and the exceptional editing and recommend it to readers between the ages of three and six. They are sure to laugh and dance along, just like the birds, the squirrels, the chipmunks, the skunks, and the other animals in this story.

I have a suggestion to make. I think it might be better to have each narrative and the accompanying illustration on the same page, especially given that each narrative contains just a couple sentences. This may aid continuity in the narrative flow. But then this is my subjective preference, and I do not consider this issue serious enough to make me remove any stars from the rating.

The Kitty Cat Brigade
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Children's Books”