Review of Where's Baby, Momma?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Bob and Bobbie and Other Short Stories by Derek Richard Fairey
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Where's Baby, Momma?

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Where's Baby, Momma?" by Antoinette McDonald.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book should be available in all neonatal hospitals. Although it was written to be read to very young children, the message is important for everyone who has suffered the loss of a child at birth.

The way the author explains that God had a purpose for the baby is comforting. The illustration of the baby in God's arms is reassuring and will help the grieving family members to understand what has happened.

There are many positives in Where's Baby, Momma? I like the consistency of all the characters' skin color. This extends to the doctor and to God. I like that there was a Swahili cultural reference regarding the name of the infant. There is no mention of the illustrator, so I assume the author, Antoinette J. McDonald, is responsible for choosing the soothing colors that add to the therapeutic value.

Because I have extensive experience reading to children, I can anticipate a few questions regarding the illustrations. For instance, in the first five pages of the book, the only change in the father's image is a slight shifting of his eyes. I think even young readers would like more variety. In addition, one page shows the mother, father, and daughter lying down with their eyes closed. Although they are in their clothes, they appear to be in a bed. The text reads, "Mom and Dad went to the hospital and stayed the night. All night they prayed." The scene does not appear to be at a hospital and there is no mention of the daughter going to the hospital with her parents.

Because of the few negatives with the illustrations and a grammar error, I am rating this four out of five stars. The importance of this book, however, is excellent. I admire the author for sharing her experience in such a personal and rewarding manner.

Where's Baby, Momma?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This is a very hard concept to share with kids. Heck, it’s hard for adults, as well. Fortunately, it is not one that I have had to deal with personally. I haven’t read this, but I can understand the problem with the confusing illustrations. Thanks!
Baggett Yori
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baggett-yori.html
Latest Review: The Truth Is Beyond Belief! by Jerry Durr

Post by Baggett Yori »

This review provides valuable insights into "Where's Baby, Momma?" by Antoinette J. McDonald, presenting it as a comforting and important resource for families who have experienced the loss of a child at birth. The review acknowledges the significance of the message conveyed in the book, particularly regarding God's purpose for the baby and the reassuring illustration of the baby in God's arms. Well done on this descriptive review.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Bob and Bobbie and Other Short Stories by Derek Richard Fairey
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Amy Luman wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 13:47 This is a very hard concept to share with kids. Heck, it’s hard for adults, as well. Fortunately, it is not one that I have had to deal with personally. I haven’t read this, but I can understand the problem with the confusing illustrations. Thanks!
Thank you for commenting.

Return to “Children's Books”