Review of Howard's Naughty Imaginary Friend

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: Quizby The Ant by Clinton Black

Review of Howard's Naughty Imaginary Friend

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Howard's Naughty Imaginary Friend" by Stavellie Salomon (SENS).]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Howard has been a good boy, has had things work out smoothly for him, and has had great times with his stuffed bear, Teddy. His parents are very proud of his alluring demeanor and exceptional qualities, especially his honesty. However, Howard's world begins to fall apart—and it gets worse—the moment he desires to satisfy his curiosity by telling a little lie. Somehow, however, Howard attempts to redeem himself, and with the love and support of his grandmother and a paranormal investigator, Mr. Hawthorne, a fierce battle is set between light and darkness.

Central to this children's story is the theme of actions and consequences. The incidents revolving around Howard's life teach children the need to be careful in whatever they do and to exercise constraints in their quest to satisfy their fantasies and curiosities, as doing otherwise can set them up for avoidable pitfalls and external manipulations. I was impressed by the thorough development of this theme.

The story exposes children to the world of legends, folktales, and magic, giving them the opportunity to stretch their imaginations. I was impressed by the characterization of Howard and the meticulous crafting of his transformation. The scene where Howard battled the dark force was intense and suspenseful and showed the incredible possibilities that can come with determination and fortitude, passing on to children the message that there is always a second chance for a willing mind, irrespective of how miserable the situation might be or how bleak the future might seem.

The book was well edited, with just a few grammatical errors. I have just a little suggestion to make. I think it would be great to include a glossary in a subsequent edition of this book, which I think would help children understand the meanings of such words as groggy. Howard's Naughty Imaginary Friend, written by Stavellie Salomon (SENS), earns five out of five stars for its captivating storyline and the moral lessons it teaches. I do not consider my observation a sufficient reason to remove any stars from the rating. This book is suitable for readers between the ages of seven and eighteen.

Howard's Naughty Imaginary Friend
View: on Bookshelves
Prohlife Jobs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prohlife-jobs.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Prohlife Jobs »

This sounds like a great story for kids. I love the fact that it teaches important moral lessons. I loved reading your review!

Return to “Children's Books”