Review of New Can Be Scary

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaituni Sanghavi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaituni-sanghavi.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review of New Can Be Scary

Post by Jaituni Sanghavi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "New Can Be Scary" by Joyce Olsen.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

As adults, we have all most certainly heard of phrases like “Get out of your comfort zone” or something like “Your life begins at the end of your comfort zone,” haven’t we? However, while it definitely rings true, we all love our comfort zones, don’t we?

Still, it's important that we push ourselves to try new things, even if they feel a bit scary, just like Derek did in the book New Can Be Scary by Joyce Olsen, because don't you think that if we step out of our comfort zones, it will help us grow, learn, and explore? And so, while it's nice to stay cozy, let's not forget to take risks and explore new experiences, just like Derek did, because that's where the real magic happens!

So who is Derek, and what did he do? Well, Derek is the little boy and the protagonist of this short and sweet children’s book that is equally suitable for adults. Derek likes exploring new things, and he is excited when one such opportunity knocks at his door: wearing a pair of glasses. However, as excited as he was initially, he is now scared of this new change for fear of what his friends would think. Will they make fun of him? Will Derek get embarrassed? What will happen? Read this cute yet educational book to learn what happened.

Honestly, I loved this book. Though it is short and I finished reading it in less than 30 minutes, the message hit hard. As I said earlier, though this book is essentially for children, it is equally suitable for adults, and maybe even more, if I can say so, because of the message it shares and reminds us of. There are so many instances when we let go of something that would help us grow in life just because we fear trying something new. However, we forget that beyond this fear lies victory, growth, and learning. This is what I learned from this book and little Derek.

Thus, without any reservations, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because it deserves every bit of it, right from the story concept, the beautiful and mesmerizing illustrations, the story message, and the subtle way in which the subject of anti-bullying is handled. I did not dislike anything about the book. The editing is impeccable, as I found no errors throughout the book. I also liked the little questionnaire at the end titled “What do you think?” It was a thoughtful addition on the author’s part, making the story interactive as well as introspective for children.

In conclusion, New Can Be Scary is a wonderful book that is not scary at all—pun intended! As for the recommendation, I believe every child and every adult should read this book.

New Can Be Scary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mark Maxwell 2
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-maxwell-2.html
Latest Review: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts by John Mitchell

Post by Mark Maxwell 2 »

Absolutely, stepping out of our comfort zones is essential for personal growth and exploration. While it's natural to gravitate towards familiarity and safety, pushing ourselves to try new things can lead to exciting discoveries and opportunities for learning.
williams Emerald
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by williams Emerald »

Joyce Olsen beautifully crafts a scenario that is relatable for both children and adults. Her approach to addressing the fear of change through Derek’s story serves as a gentle nudge for readers to confront their own apprehensions about stepping out of their comfort zones.
Tomi Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition) by Dr. Colleen Huber
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

This review beautifully encapsulates the essence of "New Can Be Scary" by Joyce Olsen. The reviewer highlights how the book encourages readers to step out of their comfort zones, a lesson that resonates with both children and adults. The story of Derek, a little boy who faces his fears about wearing glasses, is both relatable and inspiring. The reviewer appreciates the book's impactful message, its impeccable editing, and its thoughtful inclusion of an interactive questionnaire. This review eloquently underscores the book's value, making it a highly recommended read for all ages. A well-deserved 5 out of 5 stars!

Return to “Children's Books”