Review of The Adventures of George and Amy.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wajida Begum
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wajida-begum.html
Latest Review: I Have Proof of a Higher Power by Ioan Dirina

Review of The Adventures of George and Amy.

Post by Wajida Begum »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of George and Amy." by Douglas Ford.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"The Adventures of George and Amy" by Douglas Ford is a five-star masterpiece that weaves a tapestry of intrigue, adventure, and youthful curiosity across its five distinct but interlinked books. Ford's exceptional editing and grammatically perfect writing style not only bring the characters vividly to life but also ensure that the narrative flows smoothly, making it an engaging read for audiences of all ages.

The saga begins with a fortuitous discovery by George and Amy, two siblings whose ordinary lives are turned extraordinary. They find a lost diamond ring, an item of significant value and importance as it belongs to the Mexican President's wife, a gift from the King of Spain. This event sets the stage for the whirlwind of adventures that follow, starting with an invitation from the Mexican President and his wife to tour Mexico as a token of their gratitude. Ford masterfully captures the children's awe and excitement as they explore the grandeur of the President's mansion, Los Pinos, and their fascinating encounter with Art, an artificial intelligence, which hints at the blend of history and futuristic technology that characterizes the series.

In the second book, the narrative takes a turn towards the mysterious and the historical. George and Amy's visit to their grandfather's place and their subsequent discovery of a hidden room behind a bookcase spark their curiosity about history. This segment, which introduces HMS Eagle through a conversation with their father, beautifully bridges the past with the present, blending educational elements with the thrill of discovery.

The third book elevates the adventure as George and Amy, now with permission, explore the secret room and discover a secret tunnel. This installment expands the narrative's scope, delving deeper into the themes of exploration and the unknown. Ford's ability to maintain suspense while progressively unveiling the mystery is commendable and ensures that readers are hooked, eager to discover what lies ahead.

The fourth book shifts the setting to Kimbolton, introducing new elements of science and technology. This part, which also involves the quest to find the missing Duchess Miranda, showcases Ford's skill in crafting a multifaceted story that combines elements of history, science, and adventure. The characters' journey to Kimbolton is not just a geographical move but a leap into a broader understanding of the world and its complexities.

The final installment brings the narrative full circle, returning to Mexico. This time, George and Amy are on a mission to help their friend Methuselah retrieve containers from the depths of Loch Ness. This concluding part encapsulates the essence of the entire series—adventure, the bond of friendship, and the relentless pursuit of knowledge and truth.

Douglas Ford's "The Adventures of George and Amy" is not just a series of adventure stories; it's a richly woven tapestry that explores themes of curiosity, bravery, and the quest for knowledge. The editing is impeccable, ensuring that the narrative's pace is maintained across all five books without losing depth or detail. The writing is grammatically perfect, a testament to Ford's mastery over the craft. Each character, from the protagonists George and Amy to the secondary characters they encounter, is well-developed, adding layers to the story that make it an enriching read.

In conclusion, "The Adventures of George and Amy" is a brilliantly crafted series that deserves its five out of five-star rating. It offers not just entertainment but also lessons in history, science, and the importance of curiosity and courage. It's a series that promises—and delivers—a journey filled with wonder, making it a must-read for young readers and adults alike. There was nothing I disliked about this book.

The Adventures of George and Amy.
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This book just might interest me. While I tend to gravitate toward stories with a stronger storyline regarding the given adventure, I am interested. Thank!
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Alissa Nesson »

I love the way you wrote this review. It’s well-written and easy to understand. It’s one of the best ones I’ve read here. This sounds like a really fun series. I’ll have to look into it.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
Osvaldo Borghese
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 75%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

"The Adventures of George and Amy" looks to be an interesting and well-written book. I certainly will read it in the future. Thanks for your nice review.

Return to “Children's Books”