Review of Puppies Don't Eat Pancakes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rashad Deniro Price
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashad-deniro-price.html
Latest Review: Because they said so! by Joy A Woods Turlington

Review of Puppies Don't Eat Pancakes

Post by Rashad Deniro Price »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Puppies Don't Eat Pancakes" by David Springstroh.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Waylon is a lively and fun puppy to be with. As it turns out, he has a human friend named James, and they've really grown fond of each other, always embarking on great adventures. Waylon and James enjoy eating snacks and playing games. But things get really interesting when James's mom prepares some pancakes for James, and Waylon couldn't just resist the alluring aroma and sight before him.

Puppies Don't Eat Pancakes is a children's story written by David Springstroh. The story is complemented with bright illustrations and woven with simple word choices to meet the reading needs of the target audience: children. Springstroh has also done a great job exploring the themes of friendship, craving, kindness, and benevolence in a way children can easily connect to, even as he stresses the virtue of being humane and sustaining worthy relationships.

The story is concise, infused with fine details, and flows smoothly. The vivid narrative and descriptions made my reading more memorable. For example, when I got to know about Waylon's adventurous nature and read about his "flippy, floppy, bouncing ears" (page 6 of 33), I knew immediately that I would be having a wonderful time with this story. I wasn't disappointed.

I suppose the man beside James on the painting on page 24 of 33 is his dad. But I don't think the dad's picture should be there, especially considering that he is not mentioned anywhere in the story. This is my subjective observation, though, and I didn't really dislike anything in the book. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because it is concise, gripping, teaches great lessons healthy for children's consumption, and is exceptionally well proofread.

I recommend Puppies Don't Eat Pancakes to readers between two and twelve years old. It will surely get pet lovers (especially puppy lovers) giggling with delight.

Puppies Don't Eat Pancakes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ridian Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Ridian Smith »

Thanks for the great review. You've included all I want to know about this book in your review. So, I'm sure this book is an entertaining children's book that will teach many lessons to the little ones.

Return to “Children's Books”