Review of Field Guide to Sinisters and Benevolents

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 277
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: Jake the Last by Colin Payne

Review of Field Guide to Sinisters and Benevolents

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Field Guide to Sinisters and Benevolents" by Nancy L Vallette.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Nancy L. Vallette's book Field Guide to Sinisters and Benevolents is a compilation of illustrations for young readers with additional writing accompanying them. Children can enjoy this unique educational experience thanks to its unique writing style. After reading both of the "Field Guides" that this author has available, I can say that the author has not failed to meet my expectations once again.

Little ones might not comprehend that when you say something like "someone goes bananas," for example, they might only see the word "bananas" as a fruit, which will cause them to be confused. On the other hand, for grownups, it suggests going crazy, and this is precisely what the book does. The many various types of sayings that are associated with a certain term and all that is related to it are explained here. We separate these terms into two distinct groups: the Benevolents and the Sinisters. These two groups represent the positive and negative emotions that are associated with these terms. Additionally, images are included on each and every page; however, every other page features either a Benevolent or Sinister term that the author discusses.

The information contained in this book is educational, and the aspect that I appreciate the most about it is that it is enjoyable while educating the reader. Children are able to colour in the numerous black and white drawings that are scattered throughout the book, as they have no colour. Despite the fact that I have already read the other book in this series, this one stands out to me more than the other one. They are also independent of one another, and neither one is necessary for the other.

I rate this book five out of five stars because it is entertaining, educational, and written in a way that appeals to a young audience. Furthermore, I did not discover anything about the book that I did not like, which is why I gave it a perfect rating. However, I did discover a few mistakes, but they were not significant enough to prevent me from enjoying the book.

I think that youngsters who are between the ages of five and ten would enjoy reading this book. I have the impression that my child is just the right age to appreciate this book at five. It seems to me that if he were any younger, he would not have the same level of appreciation for the book as older children would have, but not all children are the same.

Field Guide to Sinisters and Benevolents
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Children's Books”