Review of My Silly Sweet Self

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaituni Sanghavi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaituni-sanghavi.html
Latest Review: Chasing Tales by Christine J. Logan

Review of My Silly Sweet Self

Post by Jaituni Sanghavi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Silly Sweet Self" by Cathy Evans.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In modern times, we hear about self-love quite often, be it through books, videos, reels, and the like. However, while we all nod our heads in agreement with the fact that self-love is the most important aspect of love because only then can we love others, we still crib and curse ourselves when the situation pops up. All that knowledge we had gathered about self-love just goes down the drain, doesn’t it? In such cases, I believe we should constantly remind ourselves about self-love, just like the author Cathy Evans does in her wonderful and beautifully illustrated book My Silly Sweet Self.

This sweet little children’s book delightfully celebrates individuality and self-love wrapped in, if I may say, a quirky and whimsical journey of self-discovery. There’s not much to say about the story, because it is not a story! In fact, it consists of playful lines that sound like rhymes that would make a child chuckle for sure. Take, for instance, the very first line, which reads, “I am a funny bunny banana split, a bubbly root beer float,” or another line that says, “I am my Daddy's cutie cherry pie, and I am great!" Don’t these lines reflect quirkiness? But it is not just the quirkiness, for these lines have a subtle layer within them that celebrates individuality in a lighthearted manner. Moreover, the repetition of "I am" reinforces a strong sense of self-affirmation and emphasizes the significance of accepting one's true self with joy and enthusiasm.

However, the ‘USP’ of the book, in my opinion, is the phenomenal and vibrant illustrations by the illustrator, Don Olea. These illustrations align perfectly with the author’s thought process, such that they would definitely encourage young readers to embrace their unique qualities and find joy in their own identities.

As a reader, I found My Silly Sweet Self" to be a heartwarming and uplifting read. Though the book is very short, the message of self-love will surely resonate with all the children. It will infuse in every child the belief that they are unique and worthy of acceptance just the way they are. Thus, owing to the strong yet subtle message the book conveys and the awesome illustrations, I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. I disliked nothing about the book. Also, I did not find any errors in the book, which means that the editing is just flawless.

In conclusion, I’d say that My Silly Sweet Self is a book that radiates positivity and warmth, and I would recommend it to every child, especially those within the age group of 4 to 12 years.

My Silly Sweet Self
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Abdulrahman Bello 2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abdulrahman Bello 2 »

Well I will say this book is going to be so interesting from the look of it and the way it starts. It has a great title and heart warning from the title talk more of reading it it will be so powerful to the mind because it talk about what you need to know about your self and what extent you you have to change certain things of your self I think that is what this book is all about and it sounds great
Lisa P Cowling
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

My Silly Sweet Self is an informative book. Learning to love ourselves and prioritize self love is truly not as easy as it seems. There's a lot for children in this book. I totally recommend it.
Amira M 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amira-m-1.html
Latest Review: The Beloved by Banks Hudson

Post by Amira M 1 »

Sounds like a beautiful book. Self-love needs to be cultivated in kids at an early age.

Return to “Children's Books”