Review of Prickles the Porcupine Learns about Peace

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rashad Deniro Price
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashad-deniro-price.html
Latest Review: David's space flight by Sharron Hillman-Dwyer

Review of Prickles the Porcupine Learns about Peace

Post by Rashad Deniro Price »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Prickles the Porcupine Learns about Peace" by J. M. Ashmore.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Prickles the Porcupine has always slept during the day in preparation for his nightlife (hunting berries, nuts, and leaves and playing with fellow porcupines) without any disturbance, but this particular day, he is troubled by the whish-swish noises nearby. What could be the cause of these noises? Now all Prickles the Porcupine wants is peace and quietness so he can relax and sleep, and he soon begins to deploy strategies to actualize his desire. The solution could be simple or complicated, depending on the approach and how much Prickles the Porcupine and Patty the Puppy are willing to forge a win-win proposal.

Prickles the Porcupine Learns about Peace: Peace is a Fruit of the Spirit is written by J. M. Ashmore. I think the story will appeal to all children, especially those between the ages of five and seven. Through the characters Prickles and Patty, the essentials of a collected life and healthy interpersonal relationships are identified and explored, pinpointing the priceless benefits of such instruments as dialog, tolerance, respect for people's feelings and identities, and making healthy choices.

I found the distinct outcomes of each of the strategies deployed by Prickles remarkable. They accurately reflect real-life situations and demonstrate to children why there are misunderstandings and problems in the world and the keys to peace and goodwill. Prickles and Patty's story shows that whatever happens in life largely depends on which energy we decide to feed, and as a matter of fact, we can all feel alright if we are tolerant and patient enough to sort things out.

The illustrations are great, as are the questions and answers and the notes detailing a couple of things about porcupines. This is an exceptionally well-edited book, as I found no grammatical or punctuation errors in it. Prickles the Porcupine Learns about Peace: Peace is a Fruit of the Spirit earns 5 out of 5 stars because I found the story intriguing and the lessons it projects helpful for raising children who would be at peace with themselves and with their neighbors, something very much needed to ensure the continued existence of the human race. I do not think anything could have been improved in this book.

Prickles the Porcupine Learns about Peace
View: on Bookshelves
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

I am a lover of puppies and know how playful they can be at nights as they have gotten their sleep during the day, and now having Patty the Puppy rest disturbed, it is good they are agreeing on better terms.

Return to “Children's Books”