Review of Destiny of Determination

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review of Destiny of Determination

Post by Jerry Anozie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Destiny of Determination" by Cathy Burnham Martin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Destiny of Determination by Cathy Burnham Martin is a beautiful work of fiction. This book is based on the Gulumian family. There was something peculiar about this family that made them unique. The bond, love, and faith they had in each other kept them going through difficult moments. This book will interest every reader.

The genocide attack on the Armenians took the lives of Aghavni's husband and her two daughters. She was forced to leave with her two children, Hrant and Vahram, for America. Luckily for them, her two older sons, Ohanes, whose name was later changed to John after he became an American citizen, and Aram, were already in America. After a long journey, they finally arrived at Ellias Island, where they were to undergo their medical inspection before they were granted access to their new country. When the doctor came for the inspection, he observed Aghavni's black fingers, which were a result of an injury that was later crushed by a soldier during their escape. The doctor ordered them to be taken back. All Aghavni's wailing and explanations proved abortive as she was in a new country and they could not understand her language. Was this the end of the road for them? How would they deal with the situation? Grab a copy to find out.

I never expected this book to be this mind-blowing. I was astonished at how fascinating this book was. Unlike me, I took this book and made sure I finished it without a break. At some point, while reading, I discovered that true love is all about sacrifice. The Hrant story is a typical example. John and Aram defied all odds to make sure Hrant got a good life. I loved the title of this book because it tallied so much with the book's contents. Life has its bad side. Most of the time, people give up. This book shows the need to always be hopeful and determined. This determination brings us to our dreams. This book has one of the best designs and organization. I loved how the author took the time to make this book so presentable and mind-blowing. The use of pictures and maps proves the authenticity of this book, which is necessary for historical fiction. There are a lot of positive remarks about this book. Overall, I commend the author greatly for this amazing work.

I only noticed one minor error in this book. Aside from this, there wasn't any dislike or fault in this book. The book is powerful and has a lot of lessons one can learn from.

Based on what has been said, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction.

Destiny of Determination
View: on Bookshelves
Ronky279
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronky279.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ronky279 »

Nice and well written review. I always enjoy your reviews and this is not an exception. Congrats on your published review.
Donald Kelvin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-chinwe.html
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd

Post by Donald Kelvin »

Aghavni story is quite touching. I enjoyed reading this review. I hope an interpreter is brought in so she can be understood. Thanks for the amazing review.
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

:)
Ronky279 wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 14:31 Nice and well written review. I always enjoy your reviews and this is not an exception. Congrats on your published review.
Thank you I appreciate it.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

The summary got me hooked. It is interesting that the book contained pictures. I also love the themes of love and sacrifice discussed in the book. Thanks to the author for an incredible review.
Mozi Ken
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

My emotions are already moved by the short summary in your review. I want to read more so that I'll know how Aghavni's family entered America. Good review.
Einsthawkton Edeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-einsthawkton-edeh.html
Latest Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by Einsthawkton Edeh »

I have carefully read this review of yours and all I can say is that it is amazing! I like how you analysed this book. This review has made know the things to expect from this book. Thank you so much for sharing such an honest review.
Okorji98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

Destiny of Determination by Cathy Burnham Martin is a beautiful work of fiction. Great book.
Shane Carter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shane-carter.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Shane Carter »

I enjoyed reading this review. The summary was interesting and the positive aspects were properly outlined. I can't wait to start reading this book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”