Review of David God's Chosen crucible

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Review of David God's Chosen crucible

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "David God's Chosen crucible" by Joseph Ganci.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Joseph Ganci's David God's Chosen Crucible is a retelling of 1 Samuel 23:26-2 Samuel 12:31. This ancient story is quite refreshing in the 21st century because of the author's writing style. Though I read this story many times, I was stunned by the author's way of dramatizing the near-possibilities of events in the life of David.

The story begins with David's anointing. Fast forward to him fleeing King Saul, but he was accompanied by 600 loyal men. David hid in the heights of Maon, went to the wilderness of Engedi, and went to the stronghold of Paran. Saul became subject to David's destruction twice, but David chose not to touch God's anointed one. To avoid further encounters with King Saul, David found refuge in the land of the Philistines.

These are the parts I like the most. The two important characters are portrayed well according to their behavior, and they are the ones who retell the patriarch's story. Saul was being portrayed as the "power-hungry mad king" while pursuing David, which made the Palestinians take advantage of trying to capture Israel when Saul busied himself in hunting David. David was being portrayed as the one who blended like a shadow into the growing conflicts between the kingship of David and Saul's heir. Above all characters, God was being portrayed as the "Sovereign Mighty God" and a "God of Justice." In every scene, the readers will notice the "divine intervention" of God in the life of David.

Moreover, the author carefully weaves in the war techniques of ancient times. For example, the armies are using fire and smoke to delay the enemies' onslaught. Ambush and signal arrows during battle combat are quite amazing tactics in this novel. In detailed battle combat, the game of war is well-dramatized. Plus, the more interesting part is the role of a messenger. Of course, the author never misses including the important role of friendship and kinship in war, and even a personal agenda doesn't matter when it comes to war.

This book is deserving of a 5 out of 5 stars rating because I fully remember and understand David's combat and love affairs. Love and marriage are also highlights, especially in quenching the king's anger. The author has a way of describing the courting style of David that even teenagers and adults will unknowingly smile at. I admired the name meaning embedded in this novel, too.

The book is professionally edited, because I only notice minor mistakes. What I least like the most is that the letters are not in italicized words so that they can be distinguished from the rest of the novel. Lastly, I recommend this book to anyone who is fond of King David, the King of Israel and Judah. David God's Chosen Crucible is book two in the Empire of Israel series, which is appropriate for those who are interested in Biblical history.

David God's Chosen crucible
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

I love Biblical Novels 😍. Nice review, I enjoyed reading it.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I'm interested in Biblical history so I might pick up this book in the future. Great review!
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Not really interested in the Old Testament stories. I saw that there is an audiobook available. So, if I choose to read this book I will listen to it. Thank you for your informative review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Congrats on BOTD. It seems this book is for those who are interested in historical fiction and King David's life, viewed from the author's understanding of the Bible.
Mitzie Bajo
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Mitzie Bajo »

It was a great review. In the bible I like the story of David part. And it seems the book is more interesting because of the near possibilities that will happen in the life of David. Thanks for the review
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is an award-winning religious novel, best fit for those who enjoy biblical and historical fiction. Readers of the genre will not only enjoy the descriptive scenes, but also the well-developed characters, as both are equally engaging and informative. Thank you for the helpful review and keep up the good work! :-)
Unfair Banned
Currently Reading: Let it Be
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youssef-joul.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Unfair Banned »

Thank you for this detailed review and good continuation. Still, since today's BOTD is a religious novel, it will suit those who enjoy biblical and historical fiction. It will be very instructive for them.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 85569
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1314%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

book of the day BOTD is historical fiction a Christian bible story GOD call unlikely slowly shepherd to become the king Davids life narration that was intrigued shepherd boy who received Gods favor , anointing as king he has to deal with conflict. the book was well written and its suite Christians
Mhoreni Kheji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabrina-david.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Mhoreni Kheji »

I haven't tried reading a biblical books before but this one is amazing. Your review shared great insight on it. Well done
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

A BIBLICAL NOVEL BY JOSEPH GANCI WHO TELLS US THE STORY OF KING DAVID OF ISRAEL AND JUDAH, SAUL THE MAD KING HUNGRY FOR POWER AND OF GOD THE MIGHTY SOVEREIGN AND THE GOD OF JUSTICE. A NOVEL DEDICATED TO LOVERS OF KING DAVID (GOD'S CHOSEN )OF ISRAEL AND OF JUDAH.GOOD REVIEW
Favour Alade Boluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riam333.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Favour Alade Boluwatife »

This review is quite amazing and wonderful. Even though I’m not a lover of biblical novels I’m interested in this one.
Towfiq Juma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-towfiq-juma.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Towfiq Juma »

Ganci's writing style is engaging and vivid, and he paints a detailed picture of the ancient world in which David lived. The novel is well-researched and provides a compelling portrayal of the political, cultural, and religious landscape of the time.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

David's story is one of the best in the Bible. A retelling in modern ways would definitely made this a fun book to read. Thanks for the review.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

The appeal of this book to me is in the story of wars, courting, the human aspect of it all and not so much the biblical background. Congrats on BOTD.

Return to “Historical Fiction”