Review of Sky Raider

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Review of Sky Raider

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sky Raider" by Thomas Upson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The book Sky Raider by Thomas Upson is a fictional adventure novel. Duke Thomas is an American volunteer fighter pilot who survived the skies of Europe and Egypt during the war. His supernatural ability to survive momentous aerial battles, German cavalry forces, and ruthless bounty hunters amaze him. He’s a Harvard archaeologist whose archaeological dig led him back to Caesar and Roman times. As the Spanish Flu pandemic and World War I raged on, Duke explores three continents, sails three oceans, and finds true love in a humid wartime romance.

During his combat with the Germans, Duke saved a German pilot named Max Wagner, even though his Nieuport biplane was low on fuel. Facing life-and-death struggles, how would he manage a flawless landing, and what events would later unfold? Read this book to learn more.

This novel, spanning 255 pages and 27 chapters, delves into the art of war and historical facts. I appreciate the author's gesture of beginning the first chapter with a quote that motivates and inspires. The author also provides a comprehensive insight into the art of ancient sky combat tactics. I love how the author incorporates history into the novel, including ancient Egyptian history and the stories of Alexander, Caesar, Ptolemy, and Cleopatra. These elements lead Duke to a source of riches and power that could change the world. Duke's courage and unselfish passion are also great lessons to learn.

Max's translation of the scroll given to Duke portrays old-time loyalty and governance. I enjoyed reading the translation. I also appreciated how Duke confronted Viv with a hands-on discussion to open up about his secret love for Juliette. Although I find the pages of the novel to be lengthy and the chapters not well arranged, I still enjoyed reading the book. I didn't like the author's grammar usage, perhaps because the author was attempting to write in an ancient style. Additionally, the transitions in the story became overwhelming to absorb at specific points. Lastly, I didn't appreciate how Duke ended his career by having to bargain for his safety with the general.

The book was exceptionally well-edited, as no errors were discovered. I would rate this book four out of five stars due to the dislike mentioned. But all in all, it's an educational and historical adventure. It is a good read for anyone interested in history, the military, and romance.

Sky Raider
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ivana_5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ivana_5 »

Sky Raider is a novel avantyre why say us how is difficult bi a pilot on war and how was be loyalty yours national faith. This is novel about life and death. This story telling us how survive difficult times and how stay normal on torrible horor why acter this novel leaves. I recommend this novel people to put on shoes i old times one pilot and will be seen how our life is beautiful and we lives on a goog times.
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: Heart and Harmony: Poetic Reflections on Legendary Singers by Archie Luper

Post by Obc Contentor »

What an action-packed book! I love the role of Duke Thomas in his brave undertaking as a volunteer fighter. Well done on this review and thanks for sharing it.
Fergie Jessica Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jessica-edeni.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Fergie Jessica Edeni »

The narrative revolves around the themes of life and death, illustrating how individuals navigate through difficult times and maintain a sense of normalcy amidst horrific circumstances. The protagonist's journey in this novel serves as a poignant reminder of the beauty of life, even during challenging periods. Good job.
kimstampstravel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kimstampstravel »

Thank you for your excellent review. I also really enjoyed the Sky Raider novel. It was action-packed and a fast read! I love the main character, Duke Thomas - he is constantly faced with challenges and he always prevails. I also like the way it went back in time to the times of Alexander the Great, Caesar, and Cleopatra, and then came back to the WW1 setting. I thought the book was very well-written. It's not a simple-sentence novel like so many I read today - it's more of a literary work, full of accurate historical facts and WWI planes and weapons. I learned a lot and really enjoyed this book overall. Can't wait for the sequel!!
Jay Alex
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-alex.html
Latest Review: 1942 When British Rule In India Was Threatened by Krishna Kumar

Post by Jay Alex »

The book sure has an interesting storyline with wonderful characters to read about. I enjoyed reading your review and look forward to reading of the three oceans, three continents and the true Love Duke found.
Cresswell Henderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cresswell-henderson.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Cresswell Henderson »

Adventure has always been my favorite genre; whether it's movies, books, or even real-life outdoor activities, it's gotta be adventure for me. I must check this book out.
Robert Andrew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-andrew.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Robert Andrew »

The reviewer provides an engaging overview of "Sky Raider" by Thomas Upson, highlighting its adventurous and historical aspects. Their description of Duke Thomas, the protagonist, as an American volunteer fighter pilot with supernatural abilities, adds intrigue to the story. The reviewer's mention of Duke's archaeological background and his exploration of three continents and three oceans further emphasizes the scope of the adventure. The reviewer appreciates the author's incorporation of historical facts and the art of ancient sky combat tactics, making the novel richer in depth and authenticity. Their comment on the author's inclusion of ancient Egyptian history and notable figures adds an intriguing layer to the narrative. The reviewer also commends the author for incorporating motivating quotes and emphasizing Duke's courage and unselfish passion.
Fester John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fester-john.html
Latest Review: Making Life-Changing Decisions by Victor Chukwu

Post by Fester John »

The review is amazing and the word flow is overwhelming..I like it
Chinelo Valerie Hero
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelo-valerie-hero.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Chinelo Valerie Hero »

Just reading the summary of this book made me so bored, I guess I am not the right aufience for it.
Donna D Morris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-d-morris.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Donna D Morris »

Duke seems to be a star and talented biplane fighter in this plot. I do love historical fiction novels because they are easy ways to learn past mysteries and events. Well done on this review.
EBERE WRITES COCEPT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-writes-cocept.html
Latest Review: One Last Summer by Craig Christophel

Post by EBERE WRITES COCEPT »

This book seems like a thrilling adventure that combines history, aerial battles, and romance. Duke Thomas' journey sounds captivating, from surviving wartime skies to delving into ancient history.
Sasikala gupta
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasikala-gupta.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Sasikala gupta »

After reading your review it makes me want to read this action packed book full of adventure. The novel sounds fascinating . Good job
Reading is like opening a door to another world :techie-studyinggray: :techie-reference:
Okewunmi Pelumi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okewunmi-pelumi.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Okewunmi Pelumi »

I like your review, but I don't feel like this book will interesting to me. Good job.
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

I'm a fan of action-packed stories that evoke enthusiasm and engagement with the stories. However, the overwhelming transition would put me off. This is because the transitioning of a story goes a long way in determining how enjoyable and engaging the story will be to readers. Thanks for thoroughly analyzing the book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”