Review of Cajun Crow and the Mockingbird

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Precious Anavheoba
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Teacher by Robert Mitchell

Re: Review of Cajun Crow and the Mockingbird

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

I don't know much about the Cajun people. The most common stories about racism have been against black people for as long such a long time. Anyway, the book sounds good enough and the characters authentic as the reviewer said. The author has done well. One thing may require improvement though and that is the book's cover.
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

I'm not an ardent reader of fictional stories, so, I'll pass this one on to aren't lovers of it. Nonetheless, the storyline seems detailed and engaging. Congrats on BOTD.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

The characterization seems fantastic, especially Noel's character. His blend of intelligence and suavity sounds intriguing. Characters like Ella, who make a difference regardless of their social status, are always inspiring.
EBERE WRITES COCEPT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-writes-cocept.html
Latest Review: What Happened To Flynn by Pat Muir

Post by EBERE WRITES COCEPT »

The heart of any great story lies in its characters, and the author deserves immense praise for crafting characters that feel incredibly real. Take Ella, for instance. Her character serves as a shining example of how an individual, regardless of social status, can make a significant impact in their community. Her selflessness and dedication as a nurse who gives back to her people, even in the face of poverty, are truly inspiring. Ella's character becomes a beacon of hope, reminding readers of the potential for positive change in society.
Esther Archemedes
Currently Reading: Bright Expanse
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Esther Archemedes »

I already love the book because it's introduction is captivating.Noel having a child hood sweetheart seems interesting.Her name is Connie and his dreams of them living in the Island of Bon Terre where he was born shows Noel's innocence, his lack of exposure and naivety.Even the fact that he later realises he had a number of friends as well as a number of enemies shows his lack of awareness of how the real world operates.The book serves as an eye opener to the readers and is generally very interesting to read.
Ochieng Omuodo
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

Your recommendation of this book to ‘readers who love legal thrillers, especially the ones with a historical undertone’ describe me well. The review highlights two points of interest in that regard: the grounding of characters in history and the biases in the justice system.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

The history of the Cajun people sounds intriguing. I am also curious about how the author addresses the many biases that operate within the justice system. This book sounds wonderful so congratulations on BOTD.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am intrigued by the kind of cultures that the Cajun people have. I am fascinated by how Noel's past would affect his present life. I am interested in learning if Noel would end up with Corinne, his childhood sweetheart.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

Noel is from the Cajun people, where they experience much discrimination. However, he will demonstrate that with determination and resolve, his life can be meaningful.
Michael Gambo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-gambo.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Michael Gambo »

Ella Mae proves to be a caring person one who is to be emulated in real life. This can be seen in how she offered free nursing services to the poor and strong moral teachings she gave to his son.
I believe in something greater than myself.
Omobolanle Savage
Currently Reading: Words of Weedsdom
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

I really enjoyed how the review delved into the book's historical context, making it accessible to readers like me who didn't know much about the Cajun people. It sets the stage well for the story.
Chad Anthony
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chad-anthony.html
Latest Review: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts by John Mitchell

Post by Chad Anthony »

The way the author intertwined the Cajun and 'colored' experiences is fascinating. It adds depth to the narrative and speaks to broader societal issues, which makes me eager to read and explore these themes further.
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

I enjoy thrillers, and do not know a lot about Cajun people so this hisotrical novel would be interesting for me. The characters sound great, and they have some valuable lessons to teach such as family and bravery. Thanks a lot for a great review, and congrats to the author on BOTD!
Jnapika D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnapika-d.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Jnapika D »

Amazingly detailed review. Noel's character seems intense and interesting. I know nothing about Cajun heritage, from the review in could conclude that you don't need to know a lot about the heritage to read the book. So I would like to give this thriller book a try.
Rogelyn Fernando
Currently Reading: Apartment
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roge-12.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Rogelyn Fernando »

The main protagonist's background is very compelling and her mother is really awesome. I don't know anything about the Cajun culture and its people, but I would agree that racial discrimination, highlighted in the first few pages of the book, is really rampant and evident to this day. I have been putting 'To Kill a Mockingbird' lately on my TBR list, but with this book, I will definitely give it a try after this one. I am thrilled to find the amazing connection these two books can bring to my being.

Return to “Historical Fiction”