Review of Winter of Our Despair

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Winter of Our Despair

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Winter of Our Despair" by Barbara Toomer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Winter of Our Despair by Barbara Toomer is a historical fiction, taking place on the American Frontier with ranching and homesteading in the post-war restoration years as the setting, that revolves around the family of Harrison Hayes, the death of their little daughter at the hands of a bull instigated by their neighbor, and how the entire ordeal shook him and his family. What happens when the life of the wife of the man who caused the death of his daughter is in his hands? What will Hayes do? The book portrays bravery and courage as its core theme.

The book doesn't stick to using common English words alone. If you're looking for a book to learn new words from, Winter of Our Despair by Barbara Toomer is an excellent choice. The remarkable aspect of these intricate words is that they don't appear in a way that will make the sentence incomprehensible if you don't know their meaning. They seamlessly align with the sentences, imparting meaning without necessitating a dictionary check. Standard American English isn't the sole tone or language in the book. American Cowboy Dialect is also used, making the book relatable. Its usage will allow any reader to enjoy the book.

The author demonstrated excellent descriptive skills. There were no unnecessary descriptions in the book; each description delved into intricate details, enabling readers to visualize and mentally imagine what was being depicted. The ending is intriguing because the book is part of a series, with a potential third installment on the horizon. It will leave readers anticipating what happens next. The book featured several diverse characters crucial to the story, and the author adeptly wove their narratives and different settings together to construct a cohesive story without confusing readers.

The book contained some errors. However, they were insufficient to remove a star from the rating. Therefore, I'd rate it 5 out of 5 stars.

I highly recommend this book to individuals who enjoy stories about family and the enduring love that binds them together despite the storms they face.

Winter of Our Despair
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Yasmine M »

Thank you for your detailed review. The title is captivating, yet it announces an emotional read. Hayes' neighbor is selfish and unlikable. I guess we have to read the book to find out what happens.
Efe Okpako
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-efe-okpako.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Efe Okpako »

An awesome and captivating read.
Rica Concepcion
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Rica Concepcion »

The book cover is fascinating and eye-catching. I like the book's concept of bravery and courage. Plus, it is about family and love; it is by far perfect! I applaud the author's writing skills as well. I also appreciate the review; it is detailed and enjoyable to read. Good job!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t understand what is historical about the book. It seems like the kind of story that could happen anywhere at any time. Thanks!
FERDAOUSSE Elkho
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by FERDAOUSSE Elkho »

What attracted me most about this book is the cover that conveys feelings of warmth, but once you read this book you will understand that it tries to send two basic messages: familial love that cannot be compared to any other meaning of love, and courage. I hope I understood the book well.
Ajiferuke Ajibola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiferuke-ajibola.html
Latest Review: The Prison of Power by G Michael Smith

Post by Ajiferuke Ajibola »

I hope Hayes was able to spread love and not hatred. Excellent descriptive skills will satisfy the imagination of a reader. I appreciate that about the book. Good review.
fareedaali9113
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareedaali9113.html
Latest Review: The Prison of Power by G Michael Smith

Post by fareedaali9113 »

After reading the reviews, I'm really excited to read "Winter of Our Despair" by Barbara Toomer!
Okewunmi Pelumi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okewunmi-pelumi.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Okewunmi Pelumi »

This is a mind-hacking review. I love it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”