Review of Northern Pole

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Review of Northern Pole

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Northern Pole" by Julie Fearn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Roman, Elouna and their father are enjoying a pleasant Winter evening at home whilst waiting for their mother to return from work. A knock at the door turns the family’s world upside down. The Gestapo is there to arrest them all. It is 1940’s Warsaw, and Poland is under occupation by the Nazis.

Fast forward six years, Roman is in Italy following his time fighting alongside the Allies. He must decide where to settle now the war is over and selects the option that places him in Northern England. Find out what happens to Roman in the Northern Pole.

Northern Pole by Julie Fearn is a beautifully endearing, heart-breaking, fear-inducing historical fiction novel. I honestly could not put this book down. I recommend this book to anyone who loves historical fiction centred around World War II, its fallout, and romance. Parts of this book may trigger some people, although activities are only implied and not described. There is also a level of profanity.

There was so much to adore about this book. I loved the author’s ability to convey emotions, from Roman wearing his heart on his sleeve to the fear or shame of what the characters needed to do to survive.

I liked that the author conveyed the realities of the different cultures throughout, including the harsh realities of the treatment of foreigners in Northern England in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Based on the author’s background, I think she must have drawn on some of the stories of her mother and father – Fearn is from a Polish-Irish household in Yorkshire. Fearn has weaved these cultures into the storyline seamlessly.

My one dislike about the book was the confusion of Saturdays and Sundays throughout the Northern England section of the book. Roman and his colleagues work six days a week at the mill and have only Sunday as their free time. However, several times in the book, the wrong days are employed, and either the activities take place on Saturday rather than Sunday, or the activities happen on Sunday with the next day also Sunday. This content error and the number of typographical errors in the book require professional editing.

Due to the need for editing, I can only rate this book four out of five stars. However, this book will stay etched in my heart. The story truly deserves five stars.

Northern Pole
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Jennifer Coxon wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 15:14 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Northern Pole" by Julie Fearn.]

Roman, Elouna and their father are enjoying a pleasant Winter evening at home whilst waiting for their mother to return from work. A knock at the door turns the family’s world upside down. The Gestapo is there to arrest them all. It is 1940’s Warsaw, and Poland is under occupation by the Nazis.

There was so much to adore about this book. I loved the author’s ability to convey emotions, from Roman wearing his heart on his sleeve to the fear or shame of what the characters needed to do to survive.

I liked that the author conveyed the realities of the different cultures throughout, including the harsh realities of the treatment of foreigners in Northern England in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Based on the author’s background, I think she must have drawn on some of the stories of her mother and father – Fearn is from a Polish-Irish household in Yorkshire. Fearn has weaved these cultures into the storyline seamlessly.
Jennifer, another great review! This sounds like a heartbreaking story. I've read more non-fiction about WWII, and I'm interested in how this author has blended fiction with this historical period. I can only imagine what kind of examples are given in this book with regards to survival, but I am betting the reader gets a front-row seat to human nature's most basic instincts. If the author did draw on these stories from her own mother and father, bravo; however, again, heartbreaking. I enjoyed your review so much that I've added yet another book to my 'want to read' bookshelf. Thanks so much for sharing your review!
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Cara Wilding wrote: 28 Sep 2023, 16:37 Jennifer, another great review! This sounds like a heartbreaking story. I've read more non-fiction about WWII, and I'm interested in how this author has blended fiction with this historical period. I can only imagine what kind of examples are given in this book with regards to survival, but I am betting the reader gets a front-row seat to human nature's most basic instincts. If the author did draw on these stories from her own mother and father, bravo; however, again, heartbreaking. I enjoyed your review so much that I've added yet another book to my 'want to read' bookshelf. Thanks so much for sharing your review!
Thanks, Cara. I'm glad you enjoyed the review. If you do get around to reading it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am not really a fan of historical fiction, but sometimes they're worth it. This seems to be one of those. I'm intrigued by Roman and his experiences. Thanks!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 382
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: The Emotional Alchemy of Healing by Rachel Marie Rabatin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Historical fiction gives such a fascinating perspective on how events shape the lives of individuals. I appreciated your clearly written review of what sounds like a colourful, and evidently memorable, story.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Chandrakant Patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Chandrakant Patel »

Your review offers a well-rounded assessment of the book, helping potential readers decide if it aligns with their preferences and expectations.

Return to “Historical Fiction”