Review of Billy Jones's Father

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mikespice Mike
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikespice-mike.html
Latest Review: Words of Encouragement by Robert Brantley

Review of Billy Jones's Father

Post by Mikespice Mike »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Billy Jones's Father" by Fred Engh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Billy Jones's Father" is a powerful and poignant novel that delves into the profound impact of parental abuse and unrealistic expectations on children in the world of organized sports. The author, Fred Engh, a recognized expert and advocate for youth sports, weaves a compelling narrative drawing from his own experiences and research. The story unfolds around Arnold Jones, a young boy growing up in a small North Carolina town, where his father, Scotty Jones, is a revered sports figure. Scotty harbors dreams of seeing his son achieve athletic stardom like himself, but Arnold lacks the natural talent and passion for sports that his father demands. Scotty subjects Arnold to constant criticism, humiliation, and unrelenting pressure, eroding the boy's self-esteem and happiness. Despite Arnold's efforts to please his father, he faces hostility from coaches, teammates, and the community, all sharing Scotty's unrealistic expectations. Arnold finds solace in his friendship with Billy Jones, a kind and supportive companion who shares his love for music and art. Billy, too, grapples with a difficult relationship with his father, an alcoholic and a gambler. Together, Arnold and Billy navigate their challenges while searching for their own unique paths in life.

This novel is a gripping and emotionally charged narrative that sheds light on the darker aspects of organized youth sports. Engh fearlessly depicts the harsh realities of verbal, emotional, and psychological abuse that countless children endure from their parents and coaches. He also demonstrates the enduring consequences such abuse can have on children's mental health, academic performance, social interactions, and future prospects. Engh underscores the significance of positive role models, supportive friendships, and alternative avenues for children's creativity and self-expression. The novel not only critiques the current landscape of youth sports but also calls for transformation and reform. Engh implores parents and coaches to reevaluate their expectations and attitudes toward children in sports, emphasizing their well-being, enjoyment, and holistic development.

I would rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. It is a well-crafted and engaging narrative that addresses a pertinent and serious concern within youth sports. I admire how the author skillfully develops the characters of Arnold and Billy, portraying their struggles and personal growth. Additionally, the book's underlying message and advocacy for positive change in the culture of youth sports are commendable. Nevertheless, I found certain parts of the novel to be overly bleak and somber, and I wished for a greater balance of hope and optimism. Some of the scenes, too, were exceptionally graphic and distressing, and I believe they could have been toned down to a more palatable level. Overall, it is a compelling book that deserves readers' attention, albeit with a caveat that it may not be suitable for the faint-hearted. The book maintains a professional level of editing throughout, devoid of any grammatical errors or typos that might disrupt the reader's overall experience.

"Billy Jones's Father" is a must-read for anyone concerned about the well-being of children in the realm of sports. It is a novel that will provoke introspection, evoke deep emotions, and inspire meaningful action. It beckons readers to make a positive impact in the lives of young athletes, urging change and transformation in the world of youth sports.

Billy Jones's Father
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Imperfection is beauty madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: The Art of Serving Two Masters by Bruce Decaster MBA, Spencer Green PhD
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

Aside from discussing sports and expectations, I strongly believe parental roles are exhibited in this book. I have seen this book but I'm yet to get the opportunity to read it. Your review is convincing and shows the important aspects discussed in the book and I'd love to read the book.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Chandrakant Patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Chandrakant Patel »

"Billy Jones's Father" by Fred Engh is a powerful exploration of the detrimental impact of parental abuse and unrealizable expectations on children in organized sports. The novel offers a compelling narrative drawn from the author's expertise and personal experiences. This poignant story addresses a significant issue in youth sports, advocating for change and emphasizing the importance of children's well-being. While it is well-crafted and engaging, some parts were overly bleak and graphic, reducing the overall balance of hope and optimism. Nevertheless, it remains a compelling and thought-provoking read, deserving readers' attention and action for the betterment of youth sports.

Return to “Historical Fiction”