Review of The Pearl on the String

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 303
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: How To Last Many Hours In Sex by Les Rico

Review of The Pearl on the String

Post by Mayang Bature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Pearl on the String" by Jenny Richter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"The Pearl on the String" describes the state of our universe as we know it from a galactic and spiritual perspective. When a being's frequency is high enough, awareness of a higher plane is activated, allowing them to ascend from their physical state. When the gods lived among humans on Earth, Sekhmet, the deity of balance, was sentenced to a life of low frequency among humans in perpetuity. This book tells the story of this being's reincarnations from the Greco-Persian era to the twenty-first century. If you enjoy stories about reincarnation and supreme deities, this book will not disappoint.

The author's vast knowledge and wild imaginative abilities on this subject were readily apparent. The book took the time to ensure that the story was understood, incorporating spiritual and physics references where appropriate. It described how the deities accessed information in a sequential manner, like pearls on a string. That helped me understand why, despite their power, some things could remain impossible. As I began to understand the mysteries of the universe through this lens, I could not help but become completely invested in the story.

The concept of reincarnation and the possibility of higher beings were thoroughly explored as we watched Sekhmet reborn in various eras. I liked how the story's unique rules were followed throughout to avoid any confusion. Azaleha was born when Persia saw alchemical advancements. She would relax when she heard a specific frequency from a resonator, which corresponds to the 525-frequency, the frequency of balance, and also the frequency of the deity, Sekhmet. Clues like these were laid out throughout the story, and I enjoyed looking for them in each story. When combined with accurate historical references to events, the stories created a sense of familiarity, making it simple to understand the book's unique storyline. This included the burning of witches in the 18th century and the cruelty of the Nazis. Finally, the artwork, which was expertly crafted, aided comprehension by helping me visualize what I was reading. I appreciated the attention to detail in those pieces, as they were clear representations of what the author intended to convey.

The descriptions of the workings of the world from a spiritual standpoint were sometimes overly poetic, like an old wise sage in a movie telling deep parables. They used uncommon words that left me guessing what they meant. This was made worse by the use of abstract concepts like karmic strings and soul contrasts. As a result, I had to rely on contextual clues later in the book to fully comprehend. As I became more invested in the story, I finally grasped the concept and knew what to expect from the coming events. This, however, is only a minor drawback, which I attribute to my lack of knowledge on the subject. If one can get past the initial confusion, their patience will be greatly rewarded.

The errors I discovered, primarily from editing inconsistencies, are the sole reason I am deducting points from this book's rating, resulting in a 4 out of 5. Jenny Richter wrote this book with the intention of describing life from a deeply spiritual perspective, which she accomplished perfectly by blurring the line between fiction and the spiritual. The overly poetic descriptions and use of abstract concepts may only appeal to readers who enjoy the slow burn of delicate world- and universe-building.

The Pearl on the String
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.

Return to “Historical Fiction”