Review of Flukes of Fate

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joule Mwendwa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Review of Flukes of Fate

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flukes of Fate" by Luther Robison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Flukes of Fate by Luther Robison is a fictional novel set in the 19th century. The story follows the life of Jed, who has chosen a different lifestyle from his only family survivors (mom and sister) to become a cowboy and an adventurer. The book kicks off with Jed leaving California to go and pay a visit to his mother and sister. Along the way, he passes through different towns where many of his childhood memories unfold. Along Jade’s journey, much information about him is uncovered, including the whereabouts of his father, brother, wife, and former job with the Texas Rangers. Pain and tragedy have consumed much of his life, but his undying spirit has secured his hero status. Jed has to delay his family reunion journey as he meets crime and new enemies along the way. Will he ever reunite with them?

The book has real-life emotions. There were instances of both happiness and painful, traumatic experiences in the book that made me switch emotions while reading. Moreover, Jed, the protagonist, is well-developed and relatable. He is a good-hearted person who respects the law and has worked as a law enforcer, which has earned him much respect. However, his personal life is filled with sorrow and losses, but he doesn’t show that to the public. I also like Jed’s determination and kindness. Although he has been wronged in many instances, he gives second chances and does not seek revenge. Furthermore, I enjoyed a little bit of ancient history in the book. Events in the book are old-school, including the mode of transportation, currency of trade, modes of communication, and weapons.

However, there were things in this book that I wasn’t fond of. This being a fiction story, I expected it to have a major conflict that the protagonist would solve in the end. However, the story is more like a memoir, only about events where Jed travels. I felt each chapter was independent and couldn’t predict events in the next chapter. For that, I will drop a star in my rating.

Therefore, I rate Flukes of Fate 4 out of 5 stars. I would have given it a perfect rating were it not for the above-mentioned issue. Nevertheless, the book had more positives and much to enjoy about Jed’s life journey. It was also professionally edited since the errors are few. I recommend this book to lovers of cowboy stories.

Flukes of Fate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela
George Nduuru
Favorite Book: Original Wisdom
Currently Reading: If... and other stories
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-george-nduuru.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 3%

Post by George Nduuru »

Although I would have also anticipated a resolution to the dispute in the end, the author developed a complex plot by including obstacles like criminal activity along the protagonist's journey in addition to making the character a decent, relatable man. This kept the novel engaging. I'm going to be adding this to my book shelf.

Return to “Historical Fiction”