Review of Columbus, Slave Trader

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: Miracle Man by Dr. Dave Ferruolo

Review of Columbus, Slave Trader

Post by Veronica Hunter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Columbus, Slave Trader" by Marcus Wilson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Columbus, Slave Trader by Marcus Wilson is a historical fiction in which the author describes true historical events that transpired in Hispaniola between 1493 and 1495. The author describes this story using Guarocuya, a native of Hispaniola, as the narrator of the book. Though it is a fictional book, many of the events described and the characters in the book are historical, accurate, and recorded. Admiral Columbus is on a quest to find gold. The quest doesn't turn out as planned, and instead of the gold, which he is unable to find in large quantities, he decides to trade slaves as an alternative. It's a gripping narrative that promises to capture your attention till the very end as you read about a part of history that describes the inhumane treatment that the Taínos suffered at the hands of Columbus and his men.

Marcus Wilson, in this historical fiction, shows the reader a different perspective on Admiral Columbus. Columbus was known as an explorer, but in this novel, the author writes about Columbus, the slave trader. This aspect of history is unknown to many and may even be contested by some because of its authenticity, as it may be difficult to believe that Columbus himself was one of the first slave traders. 

What resonated with me the most in the book was Guarocuya's unwavering loyalty to his people. His choice to forsake the comforts he could have had in Spain and return home is truly commendable. Moreover, he willingly takes considerable risks, even risking his own life, to ensure the freedom and safety of his people.

I encountered no drawbacks while reading the book and found myself enamored with every aspect of it. The narrative was riveting, and I commend the author for creating such an extraordinary masterpiece. Utilizing a native narrator for this historical novel offers a unique perspective on history. The book's flawless editing is a testament to the editor's exceptional work, deserving recognition. Consequently, I give this captivating story a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

I highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in history; it provides readers with a detailed account of the events that unfolded in Hispaniola.

Columbus, Slave Trader
View: on Bookshelves
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshua-sawders.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joshua Sawders »

Wow, this review definitely makes Columbus, Slave Trader by Marcus Wilson sound like an intriguing and eye-opening read! I appreciate how the author uses a native narrator to provide a fresh perspective on the historical events. It's fascinating to learn about the lesser-known aspect of Columbus as a slave trader. The reviewer's admiration for Guarocuya's loyalty and bravery is inspiring. The book seems to have captured the reader's attention from start to finish without any drawbacks. Based on this detailed and positive review, I'm definitely adding Columbus, Slave Trader to my reading list! Absorbing pacing, kept the story moving briskly.

Return to “Historical Fiction”