Review of Life Shattered

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Review of Life Shattered

Post by Gerry Steen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life Shattered" by Sandy Graham.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

How do children manage to survive bullying in high school? What should be done to help gifted children avoid boredom and underachievement in high school? How does a person's mindset contribute to their likelihood of pursuing a career in engineering? Can high-school sweethearts dedicate their lives to each other and still have a full life? What are the requirements to become a test pilot in the Royal Canadian Air Force? How can a university student participate in research projects? If you would like to learn the answers to these questions, you should read the book entitled Life Shattered by Sandy Graham.

Delbert Pillage had a miserable life in high school. His peers constantly teased him about his large and uneven ears, raggedy clothes, and frail body. The school bullies roughed him up, embarrassed him, and stole his lunches. Delbert’s family was living near the poverty line. Despite his miserable existence, Delbert had a few things going for him. He possessed a gifted brain and a unique way of thinking. A shy and lovely girl named Sylvia formed a friendship with him. And, he had a math teacher who recognized his abilities. This heartwarming story illustrates how Delbert overcame adversity and soared to new heights.

While reading this book, I learned about the University of British Columbia, scientific research projects, how a university can assist gifted students, how one can become a test pilot for the RCAF, and how love can conquer all obstacles. Sandy Graham created realistic characters that the reader could believe in. As I read, I felt like a part of the supportive community that was helping Delbert to excel. I was cheering for him. The technical information used to describe Delbert’s scientific research and his flying of jets lent authenticity to the story and illustrated the workings of Delbert’s gifted mind.

I enjoyed reading this positive story. Delbert took stock of his opportunities and expressed gratitude for the support he received. Graham created strong characters who were outliers. Each of them captivated my interest. The story emphasized the values of perseverance, doing one’s best, humbleness, appreciation, loyalty, and kindness. I enjoyed how the author provided insight into the main characters' thoughts, sharing their hopes, doubts, and opinions. I recommend this novel for readers 16+ who love historical fiction, science, technology, and romance. I couldn't find any aspects to dislike about this book. Therefore, I gave it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

Life Shattered
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Thank you for your thoughtful review. It sounds like a lot of questions that this book answers. However, it is good when the system works to support the gifted, rather than keeping them oppressed.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 380
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Know Your Buyer! by D.L. Andrews
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds like a feel-good book and it's great that it emphasizes the importance of the values of perseverance and the rest. I enjoyed your well-written review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

Hi Gerry, I hope you're doing well.
Life Shattered sounds like an impactful memoir. I am glad that the author shared his story with the world and showed how it is possible to get positive outcomes from such difficult expériences. Thank you for this fantastic review! :gay-rainbow:
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: The Aspen Tree by Bart LaRocca
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 460%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Fantastic review, Gerry. It is a wonderful book to understand better how we can influence our kids too :) It starts knowing what schools, types of students, and what it takes to be there. It gives a great perspective on what school can do for you. Thank you, I will add the book to my reading list.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Anu Anand »

Hi Gerry, your review of "Life Shattered" is truly captivating! You've beautifully highlighted the themes of overcoming adversity, the importance of supportive communities, and the power of love and perseverance. Your insights into the characters and the author's portrayal of Delbert's journey are commendable. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this uplifting story!
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Great job, Gerry! There's a lot going on in this book. It's a bit sad with the bullying and poverty; however, it's good that the book has a positive message. I'll put it on my shelves and hopefully read it when I get the chance. All the best!
Abdullah Fawmi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdullah-fawmi.html
Latest Review: Fantasy Man by Jean-Michel Desire

Post by Abdullah Fawmi »

"Life Shattered" sounds like a very nice book with much positivity. I like how you've highlighted the positive themes in the book. And also I like books that makes us feel like we are a part of it. Thank you so much for a beautiful review.
Kshitija Sonawane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kshitija-sonawane.html
Latest Review: Back to Bremo by Debby Hall
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Kshitija Sonawane »

As someone who was bullied in school, you are either a bully or you get bullied and such a situation needs to be addressed immediately. If you tell an adult, they just bully you more and it is just a bad situation. You did a good job writing this review Gerry.
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Under The Elm by Ivana Christman
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 126%

Post by Martina Sette »

Wow! Your review offers a glimpse into this book. It seems to delve deep into themes of overcoming adversity, showcasing the power of resilience and the impact of supportive communities, and I love these types of things!
Leia Temple
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leia-temple.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut

Post by Leia Temple »

Thanks for another great review, Gerry! Many can relate to some elements of this story, and I think Delbert's perseverance will serve as a reason to keep going for many others who read it. "Life Shattered" sounds like a book I'll read when I feel down on my luck, in hope to revitalize my drive for success.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Wow, Delbert's school days sounded just like mine. I may not have become a fighter pilot, but I certainly can relate to bettering myself, despite your horrific school years. I'm adding this to my list as I'm sure I'll relate to it. Thanks for introducing me to it.
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine

Post by Julie Basil »

This sounds like a great underdog story, in which the reader can't help but root for the main character and cheer him on as he surmounts various obstacles. Keep up the good work!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

It's great to see that Delbert managed to go beyond the problems created by the bullies. I wonder how those bullies did after high school. I mean, did they choose a job where they could bully someone or did they achieve nothing when they couldn't bully anyone? Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Never Die
Bookshelf Size: 2289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: Faking Fairytales by Aimie O'Callahan
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

The cover might make the book look like a cheap romance but it seems to also address the difficult life of the main character and his perseverance despite the obstacles the life throws his way. Very informative review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”