Review of Do You Really Want To Know?

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 224
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 73%

Re: Review of Do You Really Want To Know?

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

Nice descriptive review, Gerry!. I'm glad that you enjoyed the book. It sounds like a good one if you are into that genre.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Stephen Christopher 1
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Snow That Never Fell
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Many people will find this book fascinating. I've read quite a lot of books set during WWII that I don't feel that I want to read any more. You said it jumps around 15 times, is that too many or does it flow well enough that it's needed?
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

Stephen Christopher 1 wrote: 18 Apr 2024, 19:43 Many people will find this book fascinating. I've read quite a lot of books set during WWII that I don't feel that I want to read any more. You said it jumps around 15 times, is that too many or does it flow well enough that it's needed?
Hi, Stephen. Thank you for your reply. To answer your question, The going back and forth worked out well because the WWII events that happened to the characters helped to explain what was going on with them in the 1960s. The traumas of their youth were still present in their minds as adults in the 60s.
Renee S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-s.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Renee S »

I think the book will be a good read for me because I answered yes to your first two questions. I do not know about Hungary's involvement in World War II and that's something I don't mind learning. Thanks for your recommendation.
Leia Temple
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leia-temple.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut

Post by Leia Temple »

We often forget to empathize with the victims of World War II, instead sensationalizing what we've heard and read. According to your well-written review, this book sounds like the opposite, detailing the events with raw detail. This was a great review, Gerry, and although I'm not a fan of war or history, I can admit my interest is piqued!
Jeff Kanda
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Dreams Are to Be Lived
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Jeff Kanda »

Hey Gerry, I am a great fan to historical books, especially those that describe world wars. I have enjoyed reading your review and I am now eager to read this book. Thanks for the engaging review!
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Anu Anand »

Hi Gerry, thank you for sharing such a detailed and thoughtful review. Your insights into the characters and the historical backdrop of World War II are enlightening. Your review truly captures the essence of the book. Well done!
Terry Kimble
Currently Reading: Web of Evil
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terry-kimble.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low

Post by Terry Kimble »

This is one of those books I would need to be in a conditioned mindset to read. I feel as though I have read enough about the subhuman murderous nazis in my lifetime to last me the rest of my life. :( Another well-written review, Gerry.
Kshitija Sonawane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kshitija-sonawane.html
Latest Review: Saving KC by Grinnell Desjarlais
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Kshitija Sonawane »

When I read the title, I thought it was going to be a children's book. I believe better work can be done in choosing the title. Other than that, the book seems interesting and a must read for those who are interested in studying history.
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

I have read a number of historical fiction books that are set during the time period of World War II, but none that have focused on people from Hungary. This sounds like a very poignant story, and your review is very well written. Looking forward to hearing more from you soon, Gerry!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

This sounds like a very engaging and emotional read. I'm not surprised you were saddened, but it's great that the book has a positive message. Forgiveness is liberating indeed. Well done, Gerry! What a great review.
Abdullah Fawmi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdullah-fawmi.html
Latest Review: Fantasy Man by Jean-Michel Desire

Post by Abdullah Fawmi »

I like to know how the wwII effected different countries. It's an interesting topic for me. At the same time, when I read about the atrocities of Nazis, it makes me wonder how humans can be so cruel to another human. I think I would read the book sometime in the recent future. Thank for an excellent description of the book Gerry.
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 95%

Post by RJ Reviews »

This is such a sad part of our history. The horrors of war are unimaginable. Yet we're still going to wars with our fellow humans! This book will certainly help us remind ourselves of the frutile nature of war. A great review of a great book. Thank you.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

Traumas, self-identity and leaving the past. A great premise, although I feel like it's not a read I would particularly enjoy. Thank you very much for your meticulous review Gerry!
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

I always struggle with rating autobiographies, especially when they're about a subject this difficult. I feel bad about judging someone's writing when all they do is pouring their own heart and life into a book.
Thank you for this heartfelt review, Gerry. This must have been a powerful read.
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."

Return to “Historical Fiction”