Review of Eye of The Beholder

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gone With the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Eye of The Beholder by J.M. Stenfors

Review of Eye of The Beholder

Post by Janet Kimetto »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Eye of The Beholder" by J.M. Stenfors.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In J.M. Stenfors' historical fiction novel, Eye of The Beholder, a young woman decides against traditional female roles and follows her dream, taking to the road with her best friend.

The story follows the life and career of Esther Mendahall, a photographer in the early 1900s. Esther learned photography from her father and worked alongside him in his photography shop until his death when she was seventeen. Her mother, needing someone to take care of her, hastily remarried, the result of which was Esther's stepfather almost ruining her father's shop and her dream with it.

Just when Esther's world seemed to be falling apart, Willa McKinnis, having learned of her father’s death, commissioned her to photograph one of the biggest ranches in Texas, Gales Creek Ranch, and its people. The two had met at a charity event that Esther and her father had been hired to photograph. Willa’s generosity doesn't end with being Esther's first real client. Knowing Esther dreamed of photographing the American West, Willa funded her career, made sure that Esther's best friend, Bridie Callahan, could accompany her, and ensured that the two were well-equipped to survive in the West. Esther and Bridie met a lot of great people. Jamison, their guide in the Grand Canyon, was the first of many. Jamison connected them with Samuel Bidderman, owner and editor of "A Traveler's Magazine." Samuel would soon hire Esther as the lead photographer for the magazine; they shared an interest in conservation. Esther was simply talented at what she did, and Bridie's words brought life to her photographs. Her greatest wish was that someone would invent color photography. Esther was active between 1903 and 1906, but something happened in 1906, at the height of her career, that made her and her photographs disappear from public view.

I loved the story's unhurried pace and the vivid descriptions of the beautiful places Esther and Bridie visited. They picked the best places to visit, and I could picture all of them. One would wish to experience their journey down the Colorado River, complete with rapids. I also loved the fact that the writer took the time to develop the characters well. The characters' backstories were the best, all of them well thought out. The story features strong female characters who stay with you even after their part of the story is over.

It is easy to follow the story because the time (month and year) is indicated at the beginning of every chapter. A small part of the story happens in the present; it starts when Esther's dry photographic plates, carefully stored, are discovered in an abandoned cottage that was part of what had been the best hotel in Seattle during its time. The present also comes in at the end and offers some kind of closure, adding additional details to Esther and Bridie's stories. I loved how the past was linked to the present, a testament to the passage of time.

The only part of the story that I can think to complain about is Gales Creek Ranch. The details about it and its people were incomplete. The story did start after Esther and Bridie's time at the ranch, and it would have been fine. But there are many references to that ranch and its people, and they come with questions. I wondered who the Hayes are and how they're related to the McAdams, about Elena, Matt, Kehale, and Aolani, about who owns the other half of Gales Creek Ranch if Willa owns half of it, and just how well-known the ranch is, etc. I would have loved to know more about Willa McKinnis because of her pivotal role in Esther's life, if for nothing else.

This book was also not professionally edited, a major aspect that took away from its overall quality. I encountered a lot of errors that were distracting (all kinds of errors). At one point, a character's name changed completely; Michael Stuart suddenly became David Rob Stuart. I'm giving this book 3 out of 5 stars because of these issues, all of which can be fixed through careful editing.

Besides its focus on nature and photography, this book offers an accurate portrayal of the Progressive Era. I recommend it to readers who love nature; there's just something about seeing the beauty of nature through the eyes of an artist.

Eye of The Beholder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Olivier Muhammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivier-muhammad.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Olivier Muhammad »

Well, after reading this review, I reckon Eye of The Beholder seems like a mighty fine read. The story takes us on a journey through the American West in the early 1900s, following the adventures of a talented female photographer named Esther. The descriptions of the places she visits are vivid and I can almost feel like I'm right there with her. The strong female characters and their backstories make the story even more intriguing. However, it seems that the book could benefit from some professional editing as there were quite a few errors that were distracting. Overall, with a little polishing, I reckon this book could be a real gem. Unforgettable journey, filled with surprises and discoveries.
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Joshua Sawders »

This review provides a detailed overview of "Eye of The Beholder" by J.M. Stenfors. With beautiful descriptions and strong female characters, the book seems like a good read. However, the incomplete details about Gales Creek Ranch and the lack of professional editing are mentioned as areas for improvement. Overall, this review helps me decide whether to add this book to my reading list. Dynamic relationships, felt nuanced and realistic.

Return to “Historical Fiction”