Review of Lost in Solway

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review of Lost in Solway

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lost in Solway" by George Fairbrother.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many novels on time travel have been written over time. Often, the emphasis is on technological advancements in a different era and often introduces the reader to characters forced to adapt quickly, paying little attention to the distress faced. Lost in Solway by George Fairbrother adequately addresses the rollercoaster ride that one would go through if they traveled into the future. So, the book is not only gripping but also uncommon.

It is 1943, and the Second World War is on. The streets of Solway are dark, and there are no road signs on the country lanes for security reasons; for bus drivers, a lot of expertise is required to navigate the narrow roads safely. Sidney Williams, a bus driver, and his conductress Sylvia Bullock, residents of Old Forge Lane, work for a Solway bus transportation company. A bomb dropped on Tramways Parade hits the bus that Sidney was driving, and they find themselves in 2020.

Much has changed between 1943 and 2020, yet for Sidney and Sylvia, only seconds have elapsed. Though several changes have occurred, there are some constants as well. Sidney remembers one place, and though it is difficult to reach there, he arrives at the bus depot. Bernie Butterworth, a descendant of Algy Butterworth, and his son Ben are running the depot. On the night of the accident, Sidney and Sylvia had stepped in for Algy, who had called in sick. How do Bernie and Ben explain the appearance of two out-of-date strangers and a bus destroyed seventy-seven years ago?

The tale spans two different centuries, characterized by distinct circumstances. The author vividly describes every scenario and builds all the characters brilliantly. Consequently, it was easy to identify with their plight. It would be easy to assume the overall situation greatly improves over time, but it may not be true when viewed from the perspective of people like Sidney and Sylvia. Though external threats no longer exist, there is much that the two find unsettling, some symbols inducing fear.

I disliked nothing about the book, so I rate it four out of four. It is a story that every ardent fan of historical fiction will enjoy. You will get as close as you can to a community adapting to times packed with uncertainty and stress due to war; from bomb shelters to nightmares visiting war veterans and black marketeers, George left nothing out. Moreover, the time travel element itself adds more intrigue to the story. I can only hope that the sequel will be forthcoming soon.

Lost in Solway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
EVERLASTING 22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everlasting-22.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by EVERLASTING 22 »

I've always loved time travel. Also Sylvia and Sidney seem like a really good pair to follow. Oh, and I also loved your review.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

It would be easy to assume the overall situation greatly improves over time, but it may not be true when viewed from the perspective of people like Sidney and Sylvia. Though external threats no longer exist, there is much that the two find unsettling, some symbols inducing fear.
Wow, Kibetious, you've got me there! You have described the story so well that I really want to read it. The experience of ordinary folks who probably had no concept of time travel - it just happened. I like that I can relate to both time zones. I've heard many reminiscences about the 1940's and the war, I've known a lot of veterans, and I remember 2020. It doesn't seem to be too high tech or science fiction orientated either. I can appreciate that Sydney and Sylvia would find many aspects of 2020 difficult, it must have been a huge culture shock for them.
Thank you.
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

I’ve always loved everything about time travel books. And this sounds very interesting. Great review!
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

Time travel stories are not my thing, and this one in particular sounds confusing with many twists and turns, so I'll just pass.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

I absolutely adore time travel stories. This one is definitely going into the TBR list. Great review.
it is what it is ....
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I am always intrigued by time travel stories and can not wait to read this book. Thank you for this lovely review.
Meseret Feleke
Favorite Author: Noah Bond
Favorite Book: Nimue
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 109168

Post by Meseret Feleke »

Fairbrother adequately addresses the rollercoaster ride that one would go through if they traveled into the future. So, the book is not only gripping but also uncommon.
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshua-sawders.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Joshua Sawders »

Hey there! This review of "Lost in Solway" by George Fairbrother gives us a great insight into the book. The reviewer mentions that the story is gripping and uncommon, focusing on the distress faced by characters who travel into the future. The setting during World War II and the time travel element adds intrigue to the narrative. The characters are well-developed, and the author successfully portrays their adaptation to the changing times. Overall, it seems like a great read for fans of historical fiction. Can't wait to get my hands on it! Dynamic relationships, felt nuanced and realistic.

Return to “Historical Fiction”