Official Review: As Good As Can Be by William A. Glass

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Official Review: As Good As Can Be by William A. Glass

Post by HannahsReads »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "As Good As Can Be" by William A. Glass.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As Good As Can Be is a coming-of-age family saga by author William A. Glass. The novel explores the lives of two generations of a military family. The story opens with Lieutenant Colonel David S. Knight Jr. stationed in Tehran in the 1950s with his young family. Colonel Knight moves his family from one military base to another as he pursues promotions and career opportunities. Meanwhile, his children suffer from both parental neglect and their father’s alcohol-fueled abuse. Dave Knight is the oldest son of the family. He grows up in this violent atmosphere; he suffers the abuse of an older sister who resents him and a father who is embarrassed by his learning disabilities. Dave comes of age during the era of the Vietnam War and is eventaully drafted into the military.

This is an expertly-crafted novel from start to finish. The author’s writing style is brisk, clear, and gritty. He employs fast-paced dialogue to convey realistic characterization throughout the book. I enjoyed the inexorable (if not exactly exciting) drive of the chronological plot. Like most family sagas, this novel covers a broad timespan and presents the story from the perspectives of multiple generations. The changing culture and historic context are woven seamlessly into the narrative as the story progresses from one decade to another. One of the things I liked best about this story is that I read much of this novel as if it was historical fiction. I learned a lot about life in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s. However, there are no lengthy descriptions or complicated history lessons to slow down the story. The author does a fantastic job highlighting the setting by providing details like the daily dictation required in a 1950s classroom in Germany and the bell-bottom pants that were fashionable in the 1970s. He also alludes to cultural references; for example, a mention of Dave putting a Neil Young LP back into its sleeve evokes the musical era of the 1960s. The author also paints a vivid image of the good, the bad, and the ugly about military life during these periods. I was also fascinated by the author’s descriptions of the impact the Vietnam War had on a generation of young adults. Finally, this book was clearly professionally proofread.

I appreciated the excellent writing throughout this book. That said, I found the adult version of Dave to be an unlikeable character. I felt that Dave’s half of the story is a repetition of his father’s mistakes. In fairness, the author may have crafted this circuitous storyline on purpose. Many people’s lives do flow from one accident or mistake to another with a few eddies of excitement and depths of despair to stir up the waters along the way. Dave’s childhood and family life make his lifestyle believable. I just struggled to find emotional resonance in his character arc. He never seems to have much motivation to improve his life. He doesn't seem to care about anything—or anyone. Like his father, he often escapes into drugs or alcohol. Even the death of someone important (I won’t give away any spoilers) because of drunk driving does not have any impact on Dave’s lifestyle. These are all realistic choices for a boy raised in a violent family by an alcoholic father. As I said, the characterization in this book is highly realistic. I just didn't find it emotionally engaging.

I would recommend As Good As Can Be to readers who enjoy gritty books about military families. Sensitive readers should be aware that this book contains extensive violence and profanity, racial slurs, alcoholism, drunk driving, drug use, and attempted rape.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars for its excellent craftsmanship, realistic characterization, and vivid setting.

As Good As Can Be
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I have a new found love for coming-of-age stories recently, so I need to check this one out. Thanks for the wonderful review and recommendations.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

This one seems real and catchy. These military family stories are usually characterized by sagas and drama. I bet this one was no difference. Thank you for such a detailed review 👍
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

The wartime context was the major thing that made me avoid this book. Glad to see someone out there enjoyed it. We all have different tastes.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

The setting of wartime was the significant thing that caused me to keep away from this book. Happy to see somebody who might be listening appreciated it. We as a whole have various views regarding this book.
868trey
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by 868trey »

This one seems real and catchy. These military family stories are usually characterized by sagas and drama
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

I am new to this genre, but this title seems like a nice introduction to the genre.
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

The book title attracted me to the book but I do not enjoy reading about the themes covered in this book. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:
shamongapatson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shamongapatson »

Am new to this genre,but this detailed wonderful review and nice recommendation I love it thanks.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

There's a lot of drama with military families. Looking forward to read this. Thanks for the review
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Not my genre of book. but I like the detailed nature of the review
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Joshua Sawders »

Well now, after reading this here review, it seems like "As Good As Can Be" could be a mighty interesting read. This here novel takes us on a journey through a military family's life, spannin' generations. The author's writin' style is clear and gritty, keepin' the pace movin' right along. The story also gives us a glimpse into different decades, showin' us the changin' times and the impact of the Vietnam War. Though some folks might find the main character a bit hard to like, reckon that's part of the realism in this tale. If you enjoy gritty books 'bout military families, this one might just be a good fit for ya. Take note though, it's got its fair share of violence, profanity, and tough subjects. I'd give it a solid 4 outta 4 stars. Captivating twists, kept me guessing until the end.

Return to “Historical Fiction”